Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com> on 2008/02/13 18:45:44 UTC

False positive with scoring I don't understand

Greetings everyone.  I'm new to the list because I need help
desperately.  I've been using spamassassin for many years and it has
gone a long way to fixing spam, so first, thank you for the great product.

System is Fedora Linux 6 running sendmail.  Mail is delivered for local
users with procmail which feeds the delivered mail to spamassassin.  I'm
getting the following from some (very important) customers and it's
really a problem right now.  Where is the score 244.3 coming from?  The
sender is whitelisted for -100?

X-Spam-Level:**************************************************

USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=3.1.9

white-list    * -2.6 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to
1%    *      [score: 0.0000]    *  347 AWL AWL: From: address is in the
auto white-list

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 13:12 -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Thank you again everyone for responding.
>
> I do have the per user settings and it prompts the question that I don't
> see an answer for yet.  What happens with the command
> 'spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist' with per user settings?  I
> assumed running the command as root, it would filter down through each
> user AWL.  Thinking more about it I guess it stands to reason that it
> doesn't because spamassassin doesn't know about all the users.
>
> So is the solution to log in as each user and issue the command to clear
> the marked address from each account?  How should it be handled in this
> situation.

Yes. With per user conf and AWL DB, each user (affected) must fix their
own AWL. Just like you removed the corrupt AWL DBs for exactly these
users, you could have just removed the email address in question from
them.

> Note:  For now, I have deleted the autowhitelist file from the selected
> users that are communicating with the marked email address.
> Unfortunately again, I won't know if it worked until the customer emails
> again.

Fortunately, this is not true. :)

As one of the affected users, just run any mail from that email address
through SA again:
  spamassassin < saved-raw-mail  | less

Check the resulting X-Spam headers. Instead of 'spamassassin', you can
use 'spamc' too, if you generally do that anyway. Just be sure to do
that as the affected users, with their correct environment [1]. If you
again re-run such mail through spamassassin, you will see a sane AWL
score, unless the overall score is identical to the previous one.

  guenther

[1] 'su' vs 'su -' caveat if you su from root

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.

--
René Berber

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 11:12:59AM -0800, Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:
> use_auto_whitelist 0

Alternately, and the better way, is to disable the AWL plugin.  You'll find
the following line in v310.pre (in your site config directory):

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL

comment it out and restart SA (if you use a daemon).

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Paul Douglas Franklin <pd...@yugm.org>.
I have
use_auto_whitelist 0
in my local.cf.
awl was causing just too much trouble.
--Paul

--
Paul Douglas Franklin
Computer Manager, Union Gospel Mission of Yakima, Washington

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by Rubin Bennett <rb...@thatitguy.com>.
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 10:15 -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Rubin Bennett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 09:45 -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings everyone.  I'm new to the list because I need help
> >> desperately.  I've been using spamassassin for many years and it has
> >> gone a long way to fixing spam, so first, thank you for the great product.
> >>
> >> System is Fedora Linux 6 running sendmail.  Mail is delivered for local
> >> users with procmail which feeds the delivered mail to spamassassin.  I'm
> >> getting the following from some (very important) customers and it's
> >> really a problem right now.  Where is the score 244.3 coming from?  The
> >> sender is whitelisted for -100?

> >> X-Spam-Level:**************************************************

> >> USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=3.1.9

> >> white-list    * -2.6 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to
> >> 1%    *      [score: 0.0000]    *  347 AWL AWL: From: address is in the
> >> auto white-list
> >>

> > The From: address is in the auto whitelist.  Turn it off and see where
> > you get, then determine why they were added to the AWL in the first
> > place.
> >
> > Rubin
> >
> Thank you for responding Rubin.  I disable the AWL with main
> spamassassin local.cf config file and the line 'auto_learn 0' correct?
> However I'm not sure how to determine why they were added in the first
> place.  I'm looking through the awl docs, and I think it would be easier
> (and much quicker with less downtime) to just remove the address from
> the awl.  I don't see how to do this though, can it be done, and if so, how?

spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist

(Googled for SpamAssassin AWL remove entry)
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay

Also man spamassassin should give you some more details about that
command :)

Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
http://thatitguy.com
rbennett@thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> At 09:45 13-02-2008, Tim Alberts wrote:
>> some (very important) customers and it's really a
>> problem right now.  Where is the score 244.3 coming
>> from?  The sender is whitelisted for -100?
>> [snip]
>> tests=AWL,BAYES_00, USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no
>> version=3.1.9

>> in the user's white-list    * -2.6 BAYES_00 BODY:
>> Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%    *      [score:
>> 0.0000]    *  347 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto
>> white-list
>
> The AWL score is 347.  A user_in_whitelist score of -100
> is not enough to offset such a large positive score.
> Verify the auto whitelist and your configuration.

AWL should be renamed ABL, if it can produce such scores. Must be pain.

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 09:45 13-02-2008, Tim Alberts wrote:
>some (very important) customers and it's really a problem right
>now.  Where is the score 244.3 coming from?  The sender is
>whitelisted for -100?
>[snip]
>USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=3.1.9

>user's white-list    * -2.6 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayesian spam probability
>is 0 to 1%    *      [score: 0.0000]    *  347 AWL AWL: From:
>address is in the auto white-list

The AWL score is 347.  A user_in_whitelist score of -100 is not
enough to offset such a large positive score.  Verify the auto
whitelist and your configuration.

Regards,
-sm

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Tim Alberts wrote:
> Thank you for responding Rubin.  I disable the AWL with main
> spamassassin local.cf config file and the line 'auto_learn 0' correct?

Not quite.  If you run "spamassassin --lint" with that directive in
place, you should get an error reported.

Add "use_auto_whitelist 0" to local.cf instead.  Make sure to restart
spamd if you're using it.

> However I'm not sure how to determine why they were added in the first
> place.  I'm looking through the awl docs, and I think it would be easier
> (and much quicker with less downtime) to just remove the address from
> the awl.  I don't see how to do this though, can it be done, and if so,
> how?

 From man spamassassin-run:

   -R, --remove-from-whitelist   Remove all addresses found in mail from
                                 persistent address list

Personally, I'm baffled by all the trouble people seem to have with the
AWL;  the only issue I've run into is users pushing their mail quota due
to large AWL files caused by stale one-hit-wonder entries.  (Which I
solved by adapting a utility from the SA distribution to trim out said
stale entries.)

(I've been finding the SA man page(s) much more difficult to find
certain information from in recent versions;  I understand the divisions
but they're not all that easy to find.  The major "standard" plugins
should probably have mention in the "see also" section of
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf's man page - which is where *everything* used
to be documented.)

-kgd

Re: False positive with scoring I don't understand

Posted by Tim Alberts <ta...@msiscales.com>.

Posted by Rubin Bennett <rb...@thatitguy.com>.