Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pierre-Henri Kraus <kr...@skynet.be> on 2006/03/25 13:38:19 UTC

A newcomer

Hello,
My name is Pierre-Henri Kraus and i'm a student at the University of
Liège (ULG) in Belgium.
I'm currently in the last year to be a bachelor in computing (5 years
studies type), and i have to do an "end of study work", and mine
consists of helping an open-source XSL-FO processor developpement team.
After a preliminary analysis, i've chosen FOP, which proved to be the
most advanced and "living".

I've had a talk with Jeremias, and with my supervising teacher too, and
among the points worth looking at, we decided that i would work on
page-number-citation-last from XSL 1.1 (if that's ok for you), and/or
eventually, on reviving SVGRenderer if you can confirm me that it's
about taking a SVG file as input for a fo:graphic element (by opposition
to the SVG rendering backend).

Pierre-Henri

Re: A newcomer

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Pierre-Henri

Welcome!

If you take on page-number-citation-last, that's fine with me. It's a
very good addition to the page-position="last" feature I managed to
implement this week. The SVGRenderer is actually about the SVG rendering
backend (producing SVG), not anything about external-graphic (consuming
SVG). The SVGRenderer can be implemented in two different ways:
1. As it currently is, i.e. the Renderer implementation directly creates
the necessary SVG elements.
2. Using Batik's SVGGraphics2D (see [1])

The second way much less work because you can mostly reuse existing
components like the Java2DRenderer (which knows how to render to a
Graphics2D instance like SVGGraphics2D provides it. The existing
SVGRenderer is in the src/sandbox directory where it will remain until
it's usable again. The only complication I can imagine is about handling
the slide feature, i.e. putting multiple pages into one SVG file, since
by default, SVG only supports one page. Using the guidelines from SVG
Print [2] could also be an option.

If you need any help or guidance, just ask.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/svggen.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGPrint/

On 25.03.2006 13:38:19 Pierre-Henri Kraus wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Pierre-Henri Kraus and i'm a student at the University of
> Liège (ULG) in Belgium.
> I'm currently in the last year to be a bachelor in computing (5 years
> studies type), and i have to do an "end of study work", and mine
> consists of helping an open-source XSL-FO processor developpement team.
> After a preliminary analysis, i've chosen FOP, which proved to be the
> most advanced and "living".
>
> I've had a talk with Jeremias, and with my supervising teacher too, and
> among the points worth looking at, we decided that i would work on
> page-number-citation-last from XSL 1.1 (if that's ok for you), and/or
> eventually, on reviving SVGRenderer if you can confirm me that it's
> about taking a SVG file as input for a fo:graphic element (by opposition
> to the SVG rendering backend).
>
> Pierre-Henri

Jeremias Maerki

Re: A newcomer

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 25, 2006, at 16:10, Web Maestro Clay wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2006, at 4:38 AM, Pierre-Henri Kraus wrote:
>> My name is Pierre-Henri Kraus and i'm a student at the University
>> of Liège (ULG) in Belgium.
>> I'm currently in the last year to be a bachelor in computing (5
>> years studies type), and i have to do an "end of study work", and
>> mine consists of helping an open-source XSL-FO processor
>> developpement team.
>> After a preliminary analysis, i've chosen FOP, which proved to be
>> the most advanced and "living".
> Sounds great! Welcome, and thanks for picking us! It's so nice to
> be in the 'in' crowd! ;-)
>
> May you enjoy your time here so much you stay here until FOP-2.0 is
> released!

Same here! Nice to see another Belgian entering the ring... :)

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: A newcomer

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great! Welcome, and thanks for picking us! It's so nice to be
in the 'in' crowd! ;-)

May you enjoy your time here so much you stay here until FOP-2.0 is
released!

On Mar 25, 2006, at 4:38 AM, Pierre-Henri Kraus wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Pierre-Henri Kraus and i'm a student at the University
> of Liège (ULG) in Belgium.
> I'm currently in the last year to be a bachelor in computing (5
> years studies type), and i have to do an "end of study work", and
> mine consists of helping an open-source XSL-FO processor
> developpement team.
> After a preliminary analysis, i've chosen FOP, which proved to be
> the most advanced and "living".
>
> I've had a talk with Jeremias, and with my supervising teacher too,
> and among the points worth looking at, we decided that i would work
> on page-number-citation-last from XSL 1.1 (if that's ok for you),
> and/or eventually, on reviving SVGRenderer if you can confirm me
> that it's about taking a SVG file as input for a fo:graphic element
> (by opposition to the SVG rendering backend).
>
> Pierre-Henri

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: A newcomer

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
> Hello,
> My name is Pierre-Henri Kraus and i'm a student at the University of
> Liège (ULG) in Belgium.
> I'm currently in the last year to be a bachelor in computing (5 years
> studies type), and i have to do an "end of study work", and mine
> consists of helping an open-source XSL-FO processor developpement team.
> After a preliminary analysis, i've chosen FOP, which proved to be the
> most advanced and "living".
>
> I've had a talk with Jeremias, and with my supervising teacher too, and
> among the points worth looking at, we decided that i would work on
> page-number-citation-last from XSL 1.1 (if that's ok for you), and/or
> eventually, on reviving SVGRenderer if you can confirm me that it's
> about taking a SVG file as input for a fo:graphic element (by opposition
> to the SVG rendering backend).
>
> Pierre-Henri

Welcome aboard.

I'm not one of the developers. Instead, I'm a user who takes the time to
answer user-level questions (unless someone beats me to it). I also produced
a sample for FOP, which I'll update when the new effort settles down
(probably when it comes out of beta).

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services