Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Pietschmann <de...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 20:05:06 UTC

why user-roles?

What is the benefit of declaring custom roles in a user-role file outside
cocoon.xconf, if you can do it together with the configuration inside
cocoon.xconf? Is there any? I don't see the point .

Stefan

Re: why user-roles?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Stefan Pietschmann wrote:

> What is the benefit of declaring custom roles in a user-role file
> outside cocoon.xconf, if you can do it together with the configuration
> inside cocoon.xconf? Is there any? I don't see the point …

Simple separation of concerns. Declaring roles in a separate file allows
to use the role shorthands in the xconf without "polluting" that file
with role definitions.

Sylvain

Re: why user-roles?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Stefan Pietschmann wrote:

> What is the benefit of declaring custom roles in a user-role file
> outside cocoon.xconf, if you can do it together with the configuration
> inside cocoon.xconf? Is there any? I don't see the point …
>

> Stefan

It helps with conciseness in the cocoon.xconf.

For non-standard custom components, it's probably easier to do the
generic <component> xml setup.  The Roles file makes it so the config
file is a little bit friendlier to users.