Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2013/11/12 00:04:53 UTC

Shepherding November 2013

Shepherd reviews extracted from
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2013>:

--------------------
Ambari

  Roman Shaposhnik (rvs):

    Project should be pretty close to a well deserved graduation. Kudos to
    the community building effort!

    setup (or atleast not visible in archives), surprisingly the user and
    commit lists have archives, is something amiss?

--------------------
Blur

  Suresh Marru (smarru):

    * The podling seems to be very healthy and kudos to PPMC for pulling of
      their first release and getting ready for second.
    * A big kudos to couple of mentors for pro-actively engaging.
    * Blur website does not conform to the branding guidelines and should
      add the incubator logo and disclaimer prominently. Also, should
      include the ASF, security and thanks to sponsor links.

--------------------
Sirona

  Roman Shaposhnik (rvs):

    Given that it has been less then a month since project entered
    incubation I see that the most immediate needs of having a source code
    repo, JIRA and MLs have been met. Still it would be nice if the
    bootstrapping were to wrap up as quickly as possible. At this point, for
    example, there's no website and no wiki, etc. Those are the tools for
    helping the community growth and it would be very nice to see those
    coming online in a few weeks.

--------------------
Tez

  Andrei Savu (asavu):

    The project is moving very quickly, but needs to make a release soon.

====================

Podlings which did not receive shepherd reviews this cycle:

    Aurora
    DeviceMap
    Droids
    Hadoop Development Tools
    Knox
    Open Climate Workbench
    Ripple
    Sentry
    Storm

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Anyone can volunteer.

Just added myself.

I'm not an IPMC member but seen a project through incubation and I'm a PMC member.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marvin,
>
> Can anyone volunteer? Or only IPMC?

Anyone can volunteer.

Honestly, I would be thrilled if our shepherd roster was composed entirely of
fresh recruits rather than grizzled IPMC veterans.

Shepherding is a great way to gain knowledge about Apache.  The first task of
a shepherd is to scan the mailing list archives for the last three-month
cycle looking for Mentor participation.  What the IPMC needs most is a "dead
man's switch"[1] which warns us when activity is dangerously low.  So long as
you can tell us "Podling is active, N mentors participating", our basic needs
have been met.

The benefit for novice shepherds is that that you're looking through Mentor
emails -- and what Mentors have to say to other podlings is often very
interesting.  You get to see what kinds of problems those podlings are working
through and what guidance their Mentors are giving -- possibly providing a new
perspective on challenges faced by projects you participate in.

A secondary function of shepherding is to provide an outsider's perspective
for the benefit of the podling being reviewed.  That's a task that only
someone fairly experienced should take on, because it's politically sensitive.
However, while detailed commentary can be quite helpful, in my view there is
such great value to the Incubator and the ASF at large in increasing
cross-pollination that we should prioritize giving new volunteers a chance.

> I'd like to volunteer to help you guys out next month.

Excellent.  I see that you've added yourself to shepherds.json while I was
writing this -- thanks for signing up!

Marvin Humphrey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_switch

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I've put up my hand before but had no response.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Done, and apparently my svn commit issues are now resolved.  Shrug, I guess
that's the internet for you.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 12.11.13 00:04, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:

>> ====================
>>
>> Podlings which did not receive shepherd reviews this cycle:
>>
>>      Aurora
>>      DeviceMap
>>      Droids
>>      Hadoop Development Tools
>>      Knox
>>      Open Climate Workbench
>>      Ripple
>>      Sentry
>>      Storm
>
> So many not reviewed? Ok, I'm willing to take two text month if needed.

Shepherd participation waxes and wanes.  We ostensibly had all podlings
covered in that every one was assigned a shepherd, but four of our shepherd
volunteers didn't come through this cycle, including three stalwarts who we
have been able to rely on most of the time.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem even if we get more volunteers and
spread the load out, because by the time we discover that a shepherd
didn't submit a review, it's too late for someone else to fill in.  The
shepherd window with the current schedule is 4 days long (Thursday through
Sunday), because we need to leave time for people to respond to the shepherd
comments before the report is filed.  Doubling up shepherds would probably
make matters worse, because each would likely let the the other assignee take
care of things.

Maybe if we were to recruit enough volunteers that each shepherd had only one
assignment per month, there would be less fatigue and we'd get higher
participation rates?

Next month's cycle will have more podlings and we probably won't be able to
cover all of them with the available roster of volunteers.  Your taking on a

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 12.11.13 00:04, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:
> Shepherd reviews extracted from
> <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2013>:
>
> --------------------
> Ambari
>
>    Roman Shaposhnik (rvs):
>
>      Project should be pretty close to a well deserved graduation. Kudos to
>      the community building effort!

>      setup (or atleast not visible in archives), surprisingly the user and
>      commit lists have archives, is something amiss?
>
> --------------------
> Blur
>
>    Suresh Marru (smarru):
>
>      * The podling seems to be very healthy and kudos to PPMC for pulling of
>        their first release and getting ready for second.
>      * A big kudos to couple of mentors for pro-actively engaging.
>      * Blur website does not conform to the branding guidelines and should
>        add the incubator logo and disclaimer prominently. Also, should
>        include the ASF, security and thanks to sponsor links.
>
> --------------------
> Sirona
>
>    Roman Shaposhnik (rvs):
>
>      Given that it has been less then a month since project entered
>      incubation I see that the most immediate needs of having a source code
>      repo, JIRA and MLs have been met. Still it would be nice if the
>      bootstrapping were to wrap up as quickly as possible. At this point, for
>      example, there's no website and no wiki, etc. Those are the tools for
>      helping the community growth and it would be very nice to see those
>      coming online in a few weeks.
>
> --------------------
> Tez
>
>    Andrei Savu (asavu):
>
>      The project is moving very quickly, but needs to make a release soon.
>

> ====================
>
> Podlings which did not receive shepherd reviews this cycle:
>
>      Aurora
>      DeviceMap
>      Droids
>      Hadoop Development Tools
>      Knox
>      Open Climate Workbench
>      Ripple
>      Sentry
>      Storm
So many not reviewed? Ok, I'm willing to take two text month if needed.

Greetings Raphael.

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Apologies for not getting around to it. I've been on the road and work continues to be a grind.

Aurora is starting out and Open Climate Workbench looks fine - graduation soon?

That was my initial look at the start, and then oops time's up.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just added myself. I've seen a project though incubation, I'm a PMC member
> and been a release manager.

Sweet, Justin's on board.  Great to have you!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>wrote:

> The comment was added by Owen O'Malley. I've corrected the report.

I'm glad we sorted that out.

> With regards to "Shepherd assignments" email, I didn't send one out this
> month, instead noting in the "November 2013 report timeline" that the
> assignments are on the report wiki page.  Maybe that explains the low
> participation. :(

Sorry for not helping this month - I've missed the note on the report
timeline.

Re: Shepherding November 2013

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Andrei Savu wrote:
> Something is fishy. I haven't received any "Shepherd assignments ..." email
> for November and I've done no reviews. It's not clear to me how my name got
> added as a reviewer for Tez.

Dunno about email. I added a section to explain the process a bit:
http://incubator.apache.org/facilities.html#shepherds
So you were assigned to Tez by the script.

Regarding the edits, my local 'mairix' search found this:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2013?action=diff&rev1=26&rev2=27

-David

Posted by Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org>.