Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Mark Hansen <kh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/29 21:16:34 UTC

difference between terms "marshall" and "serialize"

Can anyone explain to me what the difference (if there
is any) is between the terms "marshall" and
"serialize"?

TIA,

Mark

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

Re: difference between terms "marshall" and "serialize"

Posted by Davor Cengija <da...@mail.inet.hr>.
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Xiao Juguang wrote:

> Subject: difference between terms "marshall" and "serialize"
>

> > Can anyone explain to me what the difference (if there
> > is any) is between the terms "marshall" and
> > "serialize"?
>
> I did not find.It seems they all mean to convert an object into a string.
> Any else?

	www.castor.org has a simple explanation, I think. Basically,
	'marshall' and 'serialize' mean the same thing, to put some
	data (object oriented or hierarchical?) into a straight string
	(?) or binary stream (??).

	Here's what www.castor.org says:

 For those not familiar with the terms "marshal" and "unmarshal", it's
 simply the act of converting a stream (sequence of bytes) of data to
 and from an Object. The act of "marshalling" consists of converting
 an Object to to a stream, and "unmarshalling" from a stream to an
 Object.

	The very term 'marshalling' is in fact taken from the military
	terminology, and means 'to put the army in the line'. (We all
	know that, but I actually read somewhere, probably
	java.sun.com why that particular term is used).
--
Davor Cengija
davor.cengija@mail.inet.hr

Re: difference between terms "marshall" and "serialize"

Posted by Davor Cengija <da...@mail.inet.hr>.

Posted by Xiao Juguang <ju...@fugu-sg.org>.

Subject: difference between terms "marshall" and "serialize"

Posted by Xiao Juguang <ju...@fugu-sg.org>.