Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/02/03 00:18:29 UTC

non-persistence of messages with leveldb replication…

Given that:

1.  ActiveMQ shouldn’t be your main database. You should have a secondary
system to store message and send them to AMQ

2. You may have repair code to re-push messages into AMQ

3.  you’re running with LevelDB replication…

.. then what’s the purpose of persistence?

It really only handles the situation where you have an ENTIRE datacenter
failure.  If you have one node fail, the messages should be replicated.

And if you DO have a datacenter failure, you can just repair your queue
from your database.

Of course, I don’t *think* that leveldb replicates non-persistent messages.

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*

Re: non-persistence of messages with leveldb replication…

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Well, keep in mind that with the discontinuation of pure master/slave,
persistence is the only way to get true HA.  So your point about being able
to withstand an outage of part of your datacenter is possible only because
you have persistence in the first place.  (And yes, LevelDB is not giving
you any of those guarantees for any non-persistent messages that your
producers might send.)