Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by michael sorens <ms...@softhome.net> on 2004/07/19 20:33:10 UTC

Re: Bug parsing xhtml-strict schema

I ran into precisely the same problem with xhtml1-strict with Xerces
2.6.2. I reviewed the errata you indicated--does that mean there is a
patch available for Xerces 2.6.2, or that it will be in a future version?
What does a casual user do today to get around this bug?

Re: Bug parsing xhtml-strict schema

Posted by michael sorens <ms...@softhome.net>.
OK--I stored a local copy of xhtml-strict.xsd, made the update, modified
my files to refer to the local copy, and then xerces proceeds without
complaint. That's what I needed--thanks.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by michael sorens <ms...@softhome.net>.

Posted by Bob Foster <bo...@objfac.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Hello Michael,

Re: Xerces validation and symbol table features

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Nikhil Dinesh <ni...@seas.upenn.edu> wrote on 07/19/2004 04:22:01 PM:

> b. The second issue is with regard to symbol tables. I noticed that in
> addition to the symbol table there is a feature
> "http://xml.org/sax/features/string-interning" which is true by default.

In Xerces, this feature is effectively read-only. You cannot set it to
false. The symbol table does string interning.

>  Are names being put in both the symbol table and the interned table?
> There may some speed issues with this.

Only when a new identifier is added to the symbol table. The next time the
symbol table sees that sequence of characters it will return the interned
instance of the string instead of creating a new string.

>  Is there a way to get Xerces to put the values of attributes in
> the symbol table? The way I do it now is by intercepting SAX events, but
> iterating over all the attributes is quite expensive.

There is no such feature.

> Im using the Xerces CVS build checked out early last week.
>
> Thanks,
> Nikhil

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Xerces validation and symbol table features

Posted by Nikhil Dinesh <ni...@seas.upenn.edu>.
Hi,

Im using Xerces to construct a large schema instance in memory and I was
wondering if there is any way to do the following:

a. For getElementById to work I need to call psviDoc.normalizeDocument(),
right?  The problem here is that the schemas are complex and validation is
expensive. Is there is any way to make getElementById work without full
validation ? I tried setting the
"http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/schema/augment-psvi" to be
false. But that causes a NullPointerException on calling
normalizeDocument().

Posted by Bob Foster <bo...@objfac.com>.
People may be interested to know that the spec is about to change _back_
so that 1.0 schemas that were correct and became incorrect because of
the pattern errata become correct again. ;-}

Kudos to the schema committee for this. Now, when can we expect to see
Xerces conform?

Bob Foster