Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dean A. Mills" <da...@charter.net> on 2003/06/09 03:20:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxy/Authen/Smb help

Im using

apache 1.3.27
mod_perl-1.27

Im trying to log intranet usage, I have the following in httdp.conf (proxy
request are on)

<Directory />
AuthName "Testing authen"
AuthType Basic
PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenSmb
PerlSetVar myPDC pdc.mynet
PerlSetVar myBDC bdc.mynet
PerlSetVar myDOMAIN mine
require valid-user
</Directory>

I have a basic proxy.pac in htdocs, IE is configured with config script
pointing to http://myapache.mynet/proxy.pac
My problem is this

When I make a request to the apache server, for example http://mypache.net,
Im prompted for id/pw, it will validate against my pdc, works great. Also
if I dont put a id/pw in, it will show page "Authorization required" as I
would think it would

The problem is when I make a request to something other than the apache
proxy server (ie. msn.com, cnn.com, etc), I DO get prompted for id/pw just
like hitting the apache proxy server, works great when I put in an valid
id/pw. BUT if I keep hitting cancel or use a blank or id/invalid pw, I keep
getting the authentitication dialog box along with the web page (ie.
msn.com, cnn.com, etc).

Why does it work for invalid id/pw for proxy server, but not the external
sites? Im trying to track internet usage. Ive tried modifyinf AuthenSmb.pm
w/o any luck, seems like Im not redirecting the output correctly

Anyone ran into this?