Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Ralph Castain <rh...@open-mpi.org> on 2013/05/29 18:39:18 UTC

Error in protobuf definitions

Hi folks

On line 228 of hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/proto/NamenodeProtocol.proto, someone named a function using a reserved name:

  /**
   * Request to register a sub-ordinate namenode
   */
  rpc register(RegisterRequestProto) returns(RegisterResponseProto);

You cannot name a function "register" as this is a reserved word in other languages. As a result, attempts to compile the .proto file into C or C++ (or anything other than Java) fail. Can this function please be renamed to a non-reserved name?

Thanks
Ralph

Re: Error in protobuf definitions

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.