Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gogineni, Pratima" <pg...@selectica.com> on 2001/06/10 03:16:45 UTC

more strange JRUN behavior

I have  a webapp that I have been testing under both tomcat and JRUN for
sometime now. About a month ago I decided to go with app server provided
form based security.
I tested my app on JRUN,Tomcat and Resin and it worked fine.

Since then I had been working only on tomcat - now when I tested with JRUN
the login screen comes up, I enter the name and password and the screen just
hangs and the progress bar tells me "opening page j_security-check"  - now
to check if it was the application that was causing the problem. I created a
dummy page that does nothing as the welcome page and I CAN login.

So something in my application is causing JRUN to hang at the security check
- doesnt make too much sense to me. Another thing is that I disabled the
authentication totally and the application works fine on JRUN.

Now the question is - has anyone had similar problems with JRUN or have an
idea why something like this should occur? Surely my app should not
interfere with the appserver authentication - it should atleast authenticate
me and then show an error page. Also works fine in tomcat.... No error
messages in the log files... My init servlets (both Action servlet and my
own custom servlet) seem to be starting up fine.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with JRUN? I have had extremely flaky
behavior from JRUN.
Things seem to work great on Tomcat and Resin.

pratima

Re: more strange JRUN behavior

Posted by George Craig <g-...@mediaone.net>.
I, too, have observed this intermittent quirkiness in its authentication
behavior.

After reading all of their forum posts, the consensus is to use Basic
authentication. I concur that it has been the most stable for container
authentication in J-Run. I would shy away from Form-based authentication
until Macromedia has stabilized it in the next release (to some extent IIRC,
even they acknowledge its shortcomings.) However, I realize this might not
be an option for you.

For us, we've opted to use SiteMinder.

george