Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ariel Arjona <be...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/29 05:18:11 UTC

svn ls performance tests (was: "weird performance problem")

I did some testing at my home linux install:

I created a repository and imported the squirrelmail source. The svn
and apache that I installed here via emerge are version 1.1.0rc2 and
2.0.51-r1 respectively.

doing:
$ svn ls http://127.0.0.1/svnrep/squirrelmail/trunk
returned the directory listing in a split-second (around 26 files and
dirs). Upon running strace I noticed that on this version, while it
does contain bunches of stat/lstat calls like on the truss dump from
solaris (it was determined that it's a normal thing for apache), it
only contained those blocks for the files that were outputted by svn
ls. In other words, only 26 blocks.

Then I downloaded the apache 2.0.51 tarball from apache.org and the
1.1.0rc4 tarball from the svn site, and built them similarily to how I
have them setup in my solaris server.
Apache was built with:
./configure --prefix=/subversion/local/apache2 \
--exec-prefix=/subversion/local \
--disable-ipv6 \
--enable-shared \
--enable-dav

SVN was build with:
./configure --prefix=/subversion/local \
--with-neon=/usr \
--with-apxs=/subversion/local/bin/apxs \
--with-apr=/subversion/local \
--with-apr-util=/subversion/local \
--includedir=/subversion/local/apache2/include \
--libdir=/subversion/local/lib

And svn ls took about 3 seconds to run! The strace dump shows that
it's checking hundreds of files like on solaris.

However, just to be sure, I wiped the /subversion dir and started
over, only this time with the svn-1.1.0rc2 tarball from the svn site.
Build procedure was exactly the same and svn ls yielded a sub-second
response! The strace dump, just like with the gentoo version showed
that it was checking only the ~26 files present in the svn ls output.

I then wiped the dir again and repeated the whole thing, only with
svn-1.1.0rc3, and it worked like a charm, like rc2.

Then wipe/install rc4, for good measure: bad performance again.

It must be noted as well that the tests yielded the same results using
as client the gentoo rc2 binary or any of the ones I compiled myself.

So, it looks like a regression of some sort happened between rc3 and
rc4. I'll perform these tests tomorrow on the solaris box to
double-check. I'm also attaching gzipped strace logs of both the rc3
and rc4 runs.

Regards,
Ariel

Re: svn ls performance tests

Posted by Ariel Arjona <be...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:08:56 +0200, Tobias Ringström
<to...@ringstrom.mine.nu> wrote:
> Ariel Arjona wrote:
>
> >I did some testing at my home linux install:
> >

> Can you add "SVNPathAuthz off" to the httpd config file and see if the
> performance goes back to normal?

Same results.
Also, I the tests on solaris yielded the same results as the linux
ones. rc3 = ok; rc4 = bad

Regards,
Ariel

--
~
:wq

Re: svn ls performance tests

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ariel Arjona wrote:

>I did some testing at my home linux install:

Can you add "SVNPathAuthz off" to the httpd config file and see if the
performance goes back to normal?

/Tobias

Re: svn ls performance tests

Posted by Ariel Arjona <be...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:46:04 +0200, Tobias Ringström
<to...@ringstrom.mine.nu> wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
>
> > Thanks for reporting this, Ariel.  It certainly looks like a nasty
> > problem.  I hope someone will be able to track it down.
>
> I committed a fix for this on trunk in r11211 yesterday.
>
> /Tobias

Tested on Ye Olde Sun trashcan and performance was good.

Sorry for the big mails. Will post links next time.

Regards,
Ariel

--
~
:wq

Re: svn ls performance tests

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.

Re: svn ls performance tests

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ariel Arjona wrote:
[...]
> So, it looks like a regression of some sort happened between rc3 and
> rc4. I'll perform these tests tomorrow on the solaris box to
> double-check. I'm also attaching gzipped strace logs of both the rc3
> and rc4 runs.

Thanks for reporting this, Ariel.  It certainly looks like a nasty problem.  I hope someone will be able to track it down.

Next time you want to make a large data file available, could I ask you not to post it to the list.  The average message size is about 3KB, and posting something bigger than about 30KB is unfriendly to people on slow connections.  Instead, put it on the web and post the URL, or offer to mail it directly to anybody who wants it.

- Julian