Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sanchay Javeria <ja...@illinois.edu> on 2018/06/14 18:48:46 UTC

Weird error in a generated thrift file

Hi,

I'm seeing a weird error in TBinaryColumn.java on line 383 inside the
toString() method. There is a call being made to
org.apache.thrift.TBaseHelper.toString(this.values, sb). Looking into this
method tells that TBaseHelper.toString() assumes ByteBuffer as the first
argument whereas this.values is of type List<ByteBuffer>.

Building the code with "mvn clean install -Pthriftif -DskipTests
-Dthrift.home=/usr/local  -Phadoop-2" says:

hive/service/src/gen/thrift/gen-javabean/org/apache/hive/service/cli/thrift/TBinaryColumn.java:[383,50]
incompatible types: java.util.List<java.nio.ByteBuffer> cannot be converted
to java.nio.ByteBuffer [ERROR]

under the module "Hive Service".
TBinaryColumn.java is generated by TCLIService.thrift (line 378) so I don't
know what I should do to rectify this.

Any help?

Re: Weird error in a generated thrift file

Posted by Sanchay Javeria <ja...@illinois.edu>.
Could it have something to do with a change in some other thrift file? I
added a new field in hive_metastore.thrift under the Table struct. In my
knowledge, it never touches TBinaryColumn.java, I also compared the
TCLIService.thrift and TBinaryColumn.java with the prod code and it looks
exactly the same.  Which is why it's more confusing since
TBaseHelper.toString() is coming from an external jar.

Sanchay.

Posted by Sanchay Javeria <ja...@illinois.edu>.
Hey Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.