Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/03 16:59:53 UTC

Re: Tycho vs Felix for TextMarker build

+1, I hope it works better than our felix based approach.

Jörn

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  A short update:

Until now, I just failed to get the build process working with Tycho. As
far as I know right now, Tycho can only resolve dependencies which
artifacts are bundles, and there is a workaround for bundles that are
built with a pom-first approach
(https://docs.sonatype.org/display/TYCHO/Dependency+on+pom-first+artifacts).

The situation is as follows:
- uimaj-textmarker: normal maven project (no bundle) with the
implementation of the rule language
- uimaj-ep-textmarker-engine: plugin project built pom-first (felix)
that publishes the implementation of uimaj-textmarker
- uimaj-ep-textmarker-ide: plugin project built manifest-first (tycho)
that depends, for example, on the uimaj-textmarker

Right now, the uimaj-ep-textmarker-ide project cannot resolve
dependencies to the implementations that are only published by a plugin,
e.g., uimaj-ep-textmarker-engine or uimaj-ep-runtime. Maybe I've done
something wrong here...

Tycho is good at resolving dependencies for p2 repositories, but maybe
not robust enough for mixed projects. I'll read and try some more stuff,
but I am not very confident. If there is no progress at all, I'll write
the felix and tycho developers for some advice.

Has anyone an idea?

Peter

On 03.04.2012 16:59, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> +1, I hope it works better than our felix based approach.
>
> Jörn
>
> On 03/30/2012 03:30 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>> I asked the DLTK developers about best practices for building
>> DLTK-based projects with maven and they (strongly) recommended Tycho
>> (http://www.eclipse.org/tycho/). I think - compared to felix - it's
>> just the other way around where maven uses the dependencies specified
>> in the manifest.
>>
>> Are there any known reasons against using Tycho?
>>
>> If not, then I would give it a try because it will probably solve my
>> problems with the (eclipse-based) artifacts.
>>
>> Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/