Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Emily Ye <em...@google.com> on 2022/01/27 20:28:53 UTC

Release question - LICENSE/README/NOTICE not in Python zips

Hi dev@,

I'm running the 2.36.0 release and seeing that the guide [1] (under
"Checklist to proceed to the next step") has the line "Check that Python
zip file contains the README.md, NOTICE, and LICENSE files.". The generated
zip files [2] don't seem to have these files, and they don't seem to be
included since 2.4.0 (Thank you Valentyn for figuring this out!), when the
release process  was very different. Note that these files are in the
source zips [3].

Should we amend the release guide or release build scripts/candidate to fix
this?

Thank you,
Emily

[1] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/release-guide/#9-prepare-documents
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.36.0/python/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.36.0

Re: Release question - LICENSE/README/NOTICE not in Python zips

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
I believe this is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-1746. I would
not block the release on this since pypi mentions the license correctly,
source zip files has the license and this is not a regression. It would be
good to fix it though. You can update the release guide to mention
BEAM-1746 as a known issue.