Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by xnadeem <na...@enghouse.com> on 2016/02/08 08:01:44 UTC

Securing Active MQ Communication

We use ActiveMQ as a message bus between our publisher and subscriber Server
nodes.

I am currently looking at how to secure this communication.  We have two
options…

1) Using it in its current form and applying IPSec over the communications
between the two servers.  However this will mean that the credentials used
when establishing the connections, would be stored in plaintext in the
services configuration file.

2) Setting it up to use SSL and thus any authentication for the connections
made to it are done via the use of certificates.  However for the service to
access its certificate store, it means the password for that certificate
store is in plaintext in the services configuration file.

In each of the 2 options we have a problem with storing credentials in plain
text on File system. Is there any option or possibility to store these
credentials in a FIPs 140-2 compliant encrypted format in those config
files?