Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Michael Heuer <he...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/16 19:03:39 UTC

Re: Spark 1.x/2.x qualifiers in downstream artifact names

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> If you're just varying versions (or things that can be controlled by a
> profile, which is most everything including dependencies), you don't
> need and probably don't want multiple POM files. Even that wouldn't
> mean you can't use classifiers.

It is worse (or better) than that, profiles didn't work for us in
combination with Scala 2.10/2.11, so we modify the POM in place as part of
CI and the release process.

> I have seen it used for HBase, core Hadoop. I am not sure I've seen it
> used for Spark 2 vs 1 but no reason it couldn't be. Frequently
> projects would instead declare that as of some version, Spark 2 is
> required, rather than support both. Or shim over an API difference
> with reflection if that's all there was to it. Spark does both of
> those sorts of things itself to avoid having to publish multiple
> variants at all. (Well, except for Scala 2.10 vs 2.11!)

We shim over Hadoop changes where necessary but the Spark changes between
1.x and 2.x are too much.

We have since resolved to deploy separate Spark 1.x and 2.x artifactIds as
described below.  Relevant pull requests:

https://github.com/bigdatagenomics/adam/pull/1123
https://github.com/bigdatagenomics/utils/pull/78

Thanks!

   michael