Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Zachary Houfek <zh...@google.com> on 2021/09/28 16:56:56 UTC

SBE Beam Schema

Hi, everyone,

This is a follow-up to my original proposal for adding SBE message support
in Beam. A couple things came out in that review:

1. A coder-focused design for working with SBE types directly can cause a
lot of confusion.
2. Since the primary use case will be IO support, it would be best to focus
on `PayloadSerializer` support. In other words, Beam schemas should be the
primary focus, not future work.

Based on that, I wrote up another doc for how to map SBE schemas to Beam
schemas. I tried looking over some existing schemas (mostly proto ones) to
make sure I wasn't doing anything  too weird, but I would love some
feedback:

 SBE Schema in Beam
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2KyBxPQ6V6Gfm50Z74YWofATgVauYu066F0t1JPxRU/edit?usp=drive_web>

Thanks,
Zach

--

Zachary Houfek

Software Engineer

DataPLS PLAT

zhoufek@google.com

Re: SBE Beam Schema

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the super clear summary. Makes sense!