Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@syr.edu> on 2004/03/02 19:30:36 UTC

Re: Term Vector support

>>> dror@zapatec.com 02/27/04 12:09PM >>>
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of term vector support. Looking
at lucene-dev I'm understanding that with each document you store the
list of terms and their frequencies. Is this correct?
What uses are there for term vector other than "more like this"?

You can do more formal relevance feedback models and other more advanced IR techniques.  Presumably you could implement some other scoring capabilities that require the term vector.  You can access the frequency information on a document vector basis (kind of like termDocs, etc. which are term based on the index).

Some of these require some imagination to get to, but I think they can be done.  Pick up a good book on IR and you can see where the formulas use term (sometimes called document) vectors.

I am sure there are other uses as well.

-Grant