Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by David Halsted <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/10 14:39:54 UTC

Tomcat setup question

I've just downloaded Solr to a Windows laptop and it runs fine using
Jetty in the example, but I'm having trouble getting it to run under
Tomcat.  I looked at the page on the Wiki and back through the mailing
archives, and tried two methods that seemed to work for other people:
dropping solr/example/solr directly under the Tomcat home, and copying
solr/example/solr to a separate directory and starting Tomcat from
there (after putting solr.war in webapps).  Neither works; the first
one throws a class not found, and the second gets me part of the admin
page.  In the logs, I get this:

Nov 10, 2006 8:17:51 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't find resource '' in classpath or
'solr/conf/', cwd=C:\tomcat_solr

How can I correct that error?  I found a post that says that the
problem is that the conf files can't be found, but I didn't find any
suggestions for correcting the issue.

I guess I'm going to try setting the Java system property in
admin.jsp.  However, it would also be useful if somebody could post
somewhere an example of the changes for the JNDI settings for Tomcat.
Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with it . . .

thanks,
Dave Halsted

Re: Tomcat setup question

Posted by David Halsted <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the help -- I got it figured out.  Turned out I created
a lot of my own problems (never mind how).  Once I undid my own damage
I was able to get it running with the JNDI configuration.  I never did
get the simpler approaches to work, though.

Dave

Re: Tomcat setup question

Re: Tomcat setup question

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 11/10/06, David Halsted <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nov 10, 2006 8:17:51 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't find resource '' in classpath or
> 'solr/conf/', cwd=C:\tomcat_solr

Hi David, the exception has all the info.  One of the places Solr
looks is in the current working directory for the "solr home".

So cp -r solr_nightly/example/solr/ C:\tomcat_solr
and things should work.

> However, it would also be useful if somebody could post
> somewhere an example of the changes for the JNDI settings for Tomcat.

For tomcat, you can also use a context fragment to point to the solr
war and to the solr home.  See "Configuring Solr Home with JNDI" at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

<Context docBase="f:/solr.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="f:/my/solr/home" override="true" />
</Context>

-Yonik