Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Dominique Pfister <dp...@adobe.com> on 2014/07/15 22:23:06 UTC

Multiple oak repositories using an OSGI whiteboard

Hi,

I'd like to setup two distinct Oak repositories in the same VM, each containing an OSGI whiteboard.

Looking at the components inside oak-core that announce their availability using this whiteboard and the way the registration is implemented in the OSGI whiteboard, I was wondering whether above setup is possible without causing a clash in the OSGI service registry. If so, what would be the easiest way to create separate "namespaces" where every component is automatically associated with its designated whiteboard?

Kind regards

Dominique

Re: Multiple oak repositories using an OSGI whiteboard

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

> Thanks everybody for their responses.
>
> Yes, there is some special code looking up the second repository, and I
> thought about registering the second repository with a separate interface,
> so it can still be bound. My concern, however, is what happens with all the
> "inner" components, that are not directly coupled to the repository but
> rather registered in a whiteboard, and still contribute to the correct
> functioning.
>
> To be more precise, let's say I'd like to create 1 oak repository of type
> Tar (T) and 1 of type Mongo (M): I give T an OSGI whiteboard, while M gets
> a default implementation that doesn't register its services in OSGI. Let's
> further say that the construction code of T @References an oak OSGI
> component (e.g. SecurityProvider), while M constructs one programmatically
> (e.g. an instance of type SecurityProviderImpl). Would this cause an
> interference, e.g. could the one explicitly built for M also be implicitly
> used for T?
>
> I assume that you don't register any of the constructed services for M in
the service registry - therefore there shouldn't be an interference as T
will never see those services through the whiteboard pattern.

Regards
Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dominique,

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Dominique,

I don't think that this is possible, since many of the OSGi services
are kind of singletons. As long OSGi does not offer sandboxing, this
won't be possible.

I think you have better chance starting 2 oaks w/o OSGi. See the
oak-run project for examples.

Regards, Toby