Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by fea17e86 <fe...@mail.de> on 2019/06/12 07:54:59 UTC

Microservices Exchange Queue Strategy

Hi

I want to use Qpid Broker-J and AMQP 1.0 to achieve and event and message
based communication between my microservices. I would like to hear your
thoughts on the following scenario:

There are one or more microservices subscribing to the same topic. All of
the subscribers should receive all messages, or at least the last message of
the same value (LVQ). Even if a subscriber was offline, due to updates,
failures, or whatever, it should always receive the messages, once being
online again.

I thought I need to create a topic exchange and create one LVQ per
subscriber, to make sure that each one of them gets the same messages. Is
that correct, is there a more elegant way then creating n queues?

Best regards
fea

Re: Microservices Exchange Queue Strategy

Posted by fea17e86 <fe...@mail.de>.
Hi Alex

Thank you for the link to the docs.

You are right, connecting a fannout exchange to a topic exchange doesn't
make any sense, I realised that by now too. I a mafter the flexibility the
wildcard routing offers, that's the reason I want to use the topics.

So it seems like it comes down to multiple LVQs vs. a single non destructive
LVQ. It propably makes sense to check for duplicates and make sure that an
older message doesn't overwrite the effect of a newer message anyway. So I
guess going for single LVQ makes sense. The only issue I see is that it
might contain a few thousand entries, looping through those on any reconnect
doesn't seem very effective.

Any last advice on that matter?

Thank you both very much for your help so far!

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi fea,

I would like to point out that there is a section in Qpid broker
documentation about non-destructive consumers :
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-broker-j-7.1.3/book/Java-Broker-Concepts-Queues.html#Java-Broker-Concepts-Queue-EnsureNonDestructiveConsumers

You can have a look into following integration test demonstrating how queue
with non-destructive consumers works:
https://github.com/apache/qpid-broker-j/blob/master/systests/qpid-systests-jms_1.1/src/test/java/org/apache/qpid/systests/jms_1_1/extensions/nondestructiveconsumer/EnsureNondestructiveConsumersTest.java

On re-connect, the same messages would be sent again. The resuming of
message delivery from the previous point is not supported.

As for fanout exchange, it routes messages into all bound queues and
exchanges regardless message routing key.

I am not sure that you need to use topic exchanges, unless you are after
wild-card subscription functionality. Please check the documentation about
exchange routing mechanisms at
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-broker-j-7.1.3/book/Java-Broker-Concepts-Exchanges.html#Java-Broker-Concepts-Exchanges-Types
If you just need to route message based on routing key, the direct exchange
can do that.

You can bind topic exchange to fanout exchange and vice versa, but, I am
not sure what problem you are trying to solve with that. It does not look
like you need it, based on your original problem statement.
Message persistence does not depend on exchange or how the message is
routed into destination queue.

I think that Rob's original advice about having multiple LVQ queues bound
to fanout exchange should work for you. Having single non-destructive queue
also should work, if your micro-services can handle duplicates (caused by
reconnects).

Kind Regards,
Alex

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 09:55, fea17e86 <fe...@mail.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to use Qpid Broker-J and AMQP 1.0 to achieve and event and message
> based communication between my microservices. I would like to hear your
> thoughts on the following scenario:
>
> There are one or more microservices subscribing to the same topic. All of
> the subscribers should receive all messages, or at least the last message
> of
> the same value (LVQ). Even if a subscriber was offline, due to updates,
> failures, or whatever, it should always receive the messages, once being
> online again.
>
> I thought I need to create a topic exchange and create one LVQ per
> subscriber, to make sure that each one of them gets the same messages. Is
> that correct, is there a more elegant way then creating n queues?

So, firstly, if you want all the messages to go to all the queues, you can
use a fanout exchange rather than a topic exchange.

In terms of alternative ways to implement the pattern... the way you
describe is probably what you need if you want to ensure that reconnecting
clients only receive messages that they haven't seen before when they were
previously connected.  If  it is OK that on reconnection the client
receives the latest value for every key (whether they have seen it before
or not) then you could use a single LVQ (rather than one per client) and
set the "ensureNonDestructiveConsumers" property to true.

-- Rob