Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "joelfradkin@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/04 19:34:07 UTC

facility locations

I am trying to make taking inventory easier.
I was thinking of adding location and position, but was afraid how hard it
would be to count inventory (one product) in two locations.
Looking at facility I see a location tab.
Any one using this? Is there a clear explanation of how to use ofbiz
facility location, and how does it impact things like QOH in physical
inventory (which does not appear to know about locations).
As much as I have played around I still dont understand picking which it
appears locations is used for.
I can purchase and receive inventory, but dont see exactly how shipping
group plays into it, or how picking works. I am not selling. I do P.O. and
quick receive the P.O. I use the min quantity to generate requirements and
move those to P.O. I did see a min qty on location, so not sure if that
works the same for requirements. Any docs out there I could read to get a
better feel for creating locations and using them for physical inventory in
a specific order. My current custom P.O. does not create an invoice, I think
I am missing creating the ship group. It does let me receive the inventory.

-----
Joel Fradkin

Re: facility locations

Posted by "joelfradkin@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes that is a big help. I guess I need to do a sale and see if I can
understand the whole picking aspect.
We are not using the sales part as I am interfacing with a POS we wrote in
Ruby.

My need is to make taking physical inventory easier.
I re-did the physical inventory screen to allow the user to enter the actual
quantity rather than a adjustment. It uses a stocking quantity and a
supplier quantity. It calculates the adjustment (which they can edit to
over-ride the calculated value). I made it one line per product so the
client is not aware of inventory Items.

The request is to have areas where the inventory is stored, like a bar has
several shelves and present in a order like first bottle is bacardi etc..
The location from picking and bulk seemed like a great fit. I just wanted to
ensure it was not being used as part of the MRP system. When I saw a min
quantity I was curious.

It will be a job, but I can rig it up to store quantity (probably model off
product, item, item detail) on a per location basis, and have it update the
accumulated totals to the regular product system, MRP looks at the QOH in
product to make recomendations (this is where my locations will need to feed
the totals by product).

Thank you for the heads up. Is there a wiki or other docs available on how
to use the demo data to do picking etc. I am still figuring out how
seed/demo data relates to OFBiz GUI etc in terms of configuring etc without
demo data.

-----
Joel Fradkin

Re: facility locations

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Joel,

you can have locations of type "pick" and of type "bulk".
The system always tries to reserve and then pick items from "pick" locations first.
When the QOH in a pick location reaches the min quantity set on the same, the system, under the "stock move" tab, proposes a stock movement from a bulk to a pick location.
You can visualize this with bulk locations being in the highest part of shelves while the pick locations being right under them in the low part of the shelves that are easily reachable by pickers.
The demo data in OFBiz is setup to implement this behavior.

I hope it helps,

Jacopo