Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com> on 2007/04/23 16:07:07 UTC

Chat Modules

Hello All,

We want to add a chat module to ofbiz for our employees to be able to
communicate with each other when they are online. We currently use MSN
Messenger and we like the ability to have private chats or conferences,
notifications, etc but we want to close it from the outside world for now.

Does anyone know of any modules out there that may be consistent with the
Apache license that we could work on and give back to the community? Any
pointers from the senior guys here?

Much appreciated.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jim Barrows <ji...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be easier to figure out how to create, or re-use an
existing, web interface to an exisiting chat system.  I'm sure Jabber
has something you could use.  Then you just need to tie that web
interface into OFBiz.  No sense in recreating the wheel.

On 4/23/07, Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I am at an airport and I get a phone call from someone at the company
> panicking because a customer has called and is screaming about his order. I
> go to one of those internet kiosks and I get online and log into OFBIZ. My
> wish would be at that point to be connected totally to the office. I'd be
> logged into OFBIZ and show online to other users. I look up the customer
> order and all is correct except I don't see a payment and that's the reason
> it has not been shipped. I click on a chat icon and a chat window pops up. I
> IM the accounting department and ask if they have posted the customer check.
> They tell me that they received the payment buy someone screwed up and did
> not enter it. I then IM the shipping department and tell them that I am
> authorizing the shipment. Shipment goes out and we have a happy customer.
>
> At this point, I've done all this from an internet kiosk. I didn't have to
> find an unbundled IM to try and connect with the office. Questions and
> answers were immediate and best of all, there is a log of the conversation
> on my server that can verify who said what if there were a problem. All this
> and I've only had to enter one username and password.
>
> I hope this helps to clarify what's in my mind.
>

> David E. Jones-2 wrote:
> >

> > On Apr 23, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Scott A wrote:
> >
> >> It depends what kind of business you are in and where you put the
> >> value of
> >> "instant messaging" I guess. In my business the customer is king.
> >> Sales reps
> >> might be on the phone and we can still feed them info as it
> >> arrives. We can
> >> interrupt them to let them know about important phone calls. We can
> >> collaborate on projects even when we are outside the office just by
> >> virtue
> >> of being logged in.
> >>
> >> There are endless reasons but it depends on what you see as the
> >> future of
> >> ofbiz. I would really like to see my entire business run from one
> >> app. One
> >> user, one app and all from a browser. That's my ideal situation and
> >> chat
> >> could go a long way in accomplishing that.
> >
> > I guess my question wasn't very clear... sorry about that.
> >
> > When I said "what would it mean" I really meant, what would be the
> > touch points between the chat system and OFBiz?
> >
> > Are you saying that you'd want the chat to be in the same browser
> > window as the rest of OFBiz? What if the user has half a dozen OFBiz
> > browser tabs open in different applications as they are jumping
> > around working on things, would there be a chat in each one?
> >
> > Or are you just saying that authenticating with OFBiz would somehow
> > automatically also start the chat client and authenticate the user?
> >
> > Or maybe something else entirely?
> >
> > Anyway, let us know what you have in mind about how this might work,
> > from a functional or user perspective at least, not worrying about

James A Barrows

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> Where is see OFBiz integration coming into play is having a button in
> the chat window that says "Save IM to customer file" or something. It
> would save C&P the IM to a data entry screen.

That wasn't clear. What I meant to say is:

It would eliminate having to C&P the IM to a data entry screen.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Scott A wrote:
> It depends what kind of business you are in and where you put the value of
> "instant messaging" I guess. In my business the customer is king. Sales reps
> might be on the phone and we can still feed them info as it arrives. We can
> interrupt them to let them know about important phone calls. We can
> collaborate on projects even when we are outside the office just by virtue
> of being logged in.

That can be done with existing IM software outside of OFBiz.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Not much.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Scott A <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, I would recommend Jabber too.
They were using their own licence http://www.jabber.org/about/josl.shtml
but they stopped http://www.opensource.org/licenses/category (see
"Licenses that have been voluntarily retired")
It seems that they use GPL now but not sure.

Jacques

De : "Brett Palmer" <br...@gmail.com>

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
No in such a case (with the same parameters) it should only "update" (ie
doing nothing).

But I guess BJ already gave you a better answer...

Jacques

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Specifies a delay in seconds before the browser automatically reloads
the document. Optionally, specifies an alternative URL to load. E.g.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="3;URL=http://www.some.org/some.html">

or (HTTP header)

Refresh: 3;URL=http://www.some.org/some.html

In Netscape Navigator, has the same effect as clicking "Reload"; i.e.
issues an HTTP GET with Pragma: no-cache (and If-Modified-Since header
if a cached copy exists).

Note: If a script is executed which reloads the current document, the
action of the Refresh tag may be undefined. (e.g. <body onLoad=
"document.location='otherdoc.doc'>)

this does a get command to the server. so you have a frame where the top
does a refresh  the submit of the text in a second frame. the only
reason the frame is necessary is so you don't have the text box keep
getting refreshed if someone has not finished typing

Jonathon -- Improov sent the following on 4/25/2007 5:57 AM:

Re: [SPAM] Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "Jonathon -- Improov" <jo...@improov.com>

Re: [SPAM] Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
BJ,

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Agreed.

Will this also mean an additional "cron job" in the JobSandbox? Or a change can be made to the

Re: Chat Modules

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.