Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Lenhart <jp...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/22 19:28:28 UTC

Geronimo Installation Document Section

Hi,

I am starting on the Installation section of the docs
- I have been running around like a maniac doing stuff
(mostly holiday things) - so I am a bit slow to
produce.  But I am setting aside some time each day to
contribute more and more to the docs.  If you start to
see me go off base - please feel free to call me out
:-D

Also - is the preference to complete a section and
then update?  I started and updated but it is not
complete.

Thanks,

Jason

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: Geronimo Installation Document Section

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
I have been fooling around with apache jetspeed and found their installation
instructions (which is linked from their download page) to be pretty useful.

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/download.html#Installation_Instructions

   - Getting Started with Jetspeed-2
Installer<http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started-installer.html>
   - Getting Started with Building from Jetspeed-2
Source<http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started-source.html>
   - Getting Started with Building from Jetspeed-2 Maven
Plugin<http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started-binary.html>

I realize the G installer isn't ready yet but perhaps we could still follow
a similar format.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: Geronimo Installation Document Section

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
how about this structure

Installation
	Supported platforms
	Hardware and software prerequisites
	Getting the software
		Getting the binaries
		Getting the source code
	Build from the source
		complete build
		modular build
	Installing the binaries
		_interoperability,
		 ports conflict considerations,
		 directory structure,
		 configuration files,
		 additional considerations_

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: Geronimo Installation Document Section

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.

Hernan Cunico wrote:

> On my machine, if I don't do a fresh-checkout the build fails. In fact
> it always fails the first attempt and the second round works as long
> as I do the fresh-checkout.
>
> Any idea why this is happening?
>
> Cheers!
> Hernan
>
> Sachin Patel wrote:
>

>> - sachin
>>

>> On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jason,
>>> how is the installation doc coming, do you need any help on the
>>> confluence side?
>>>
>>> I saw what you started to work on the "Getting the source code"
>>> section, I would suggest to keep this task simple. We do not want
>>> to _scare_ the users with way too complicated commands and
>>> parameters, all at once.
>>>
>>> There are basically four steps to get the source and build
>>> Geronimo, so I would focus on those first.
>>>
>>> 1.- svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/
>>> 1.0.0/ <geronimo_home>
>>> 2.- cd <geronimo_home>
>>> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
>>> 4.- maven new
>>>
>>> Then, the next time you want to build you just do an update
>>>
>>> 1.- cd <geronimo_home>
>>> 2.- maven m:update

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Sachin Patel wrote:

> - sachin
>

> On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>> how is the installation doc coming, do you need any help on the
>> confluence side?
>>
>> I saw what you started to work on the "Getting the source code"
>> section, I would suggest to keep this task simple. We do not want  to
>> _scare_ the users with way too complicated commands and  parameters,
>> all at once.
>>
>> There are basically four steps to get the source and build  Geronimo,
>> so I would focus on those first.
>>
>> 1.- svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/
>> 1.0.0/ <geronimo_home>
>> 2.- cd <geronimo_home>
>> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
>> 4.- maven new
>>
>> Then, the next time you want to build you just do an update
>>
>> 1.- cd <geronimo_home>
>> 2.- maven m:update
>> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
>

> Take out #3
>
>> 4.- maven new
>

> add -o
>

>> (BTW, all the steps should be validated and make sure they are up-
>> to-date)
>>
>> Once you explained the basics then you can go more in detail with  all
>> the other options for retrieving the source code and building
>> Geronimo. It would also be nice to include common building errors,
>> how to identify them, probable causes and solutions.
>>
>> Again, this is just a suggestion. What you think about this approach?
>>
>> As for update preference, I think is best to update as you go so
>> everybody can test your instructions and provide early comments  that
>> will make corrections (if any) easier.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Hernan
>>
>> Jason Lenhart wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am starting on the Installation section of the docs
>>> - I have been running around like a maniac doing stuff
>>> (mostly holiday things) - so I am a bit slow to
>>> produce.  But I am setting aside some time each day to
>>> contribute more and more to the docs.  If you start to
>>> see me go off base - please feel free to call me out
>>> :-D
>>> Also - is the preference to complete a section and
>>> then update?  I started and updated but it is not
>>> complete.
>>> Thanks,

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
- sachin

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> how is the installation doc coming, do you need any help on the
> confluence side?
>
> I saw what you started to work on the "Getting the source code"
> section, I would suggest to keep this task simple. We do not want
> to _scare_ the users with way too complicated commands and
> parameters, all at once.
>
> There are basically four steps to get the source and build
> Geronimo, so I would focus on those first.
>
> 1.- svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/tags/
> 1.0.0/ <geronimo_home>
> 2.- cd <geronimo_home>
> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout
> 4.- maven new
>
> Then, the next time you want to build you just do an update
>
> 1.- cd <geronimo_home>
> 2.- maven m:update
> 3.- maven m:fresh-checkout

Take out #3