Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Dave Shine <Da...@channelintelligence.com> on 2012/10/08 14:28:01 UTC

Task Attempt Failed

I'm starting to see the following error show up, but I don't know what it is trying to tell me.  Does anyone know what this error means?

12/10/08 03:13:12 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id : attempt_201209281640_6895_m_007292_0, Status : FAILED
java.lang.Throwable: Child Error
                at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:242)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 126.
                at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:229)

The task is able to complete on the next attempt, so the job does not fail.  But, the job takes a couple of hours when I don't see this message, longer when I do.  And I need to get this job to complete faster if possible.

I'm running CDH3U3.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Shine
Sr. Software Engineer
321.939.5093 direct |  407.314.0122 mobile

[cid:image001.png@01CDA52E.CE30DD80]
CI Boost(tm) Clients  Outperform Online(tm)  www.ciboost.com<http://www.ciboost.com/>
facebook platform | where-to-buy | product search engines | shopping engines

________________________________
The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.

Re: Task Attempt Failed

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave

Can you post the task logs corresponding to this. You can browse the web Ui
till the failed task log, it'll conatin more information to help you
analyze task failure reasons.

Re: Task Attempt Failed

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.
I get those too.  It's probably this issue:

If you go look in the task tracker log on the node that had the failed
task you'll probably see that "Text File Busy" message in there.

Looks like this is fixed in newer releases of CDH.

HTH,

DR