Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> on 2014/08/06 07:19:44 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1615412 - /subversion/branches/authzperf/subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c

On 03.08.2014 17:41, stefan2@apache.org wrote:
> Author: stefan2
> Date: Sun Aug  3 15:41:02 2014
> New Revision: 1615412

> Log:
> * subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c
>   (svn_config_create2,
>    svn_config_get_config,
>    svn_config__get_default_config,
>    svn_config_addsection,
>    svn_config_copy_config): Use our custom hash function for faster
>                             insertion and lookup.

Stefan, there's no reason to do this on the authzperf branch; it has
very little to do with authz performance, and it just clutters up the
diff wrt. trunk for no really good reason.

If you really think this change is worthwhile, then it's OK to do it on
trunk –- *after* we branch 1.9.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco | Realising the impossibilities of Big Data

Re: svn commit: r1615412 - /subversion/branches/authzperf/subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@wandisco.com>.
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

>  On 06.08.2014 07:19, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
> On 03.08.2014 17:41, stefan2@apache.org wrote:
>
> Author: stefan2
> Date: Sun Aug  3 15:41:02 2014
> New Revision: 1615412

> Log:
> * subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c
>   (svn_config_create2,
>    svn_config_get_config,
>    svn_config__get_default_config,
>    svn_config_addsection,
>    svn_config_copy_config): Use our custom hash function for faster
>                             insertion and lookup.
>

> Stefan, there's no reason to do this on the authzperf branch; it has very
> little to do with authz performance, and it just clutters up the diff wrt.
> trunk for no really good reason.
>
> If you really think this change is worthwhile, then it's OK to do it on
> trunk –- *after* we branch 1.9.

I made this change in conjunction of authz tuning. So, yes it is
a general improvement and could have been made on /trunk
directly if we weren't about to branch off 1.9, but it is not entirely
unrelated to the purpose of the authzperf branch.

> Same for r1615419, IMO.

This can be merged to trunk independently from other changes.

But concerning the initial commit going to this branch, I think
this is a borderline case. It doubled authz parsing throughput.
With your new data model, the relative gain of this change will
eventually be even greater.

-- Stefan^2.

Re: svn commit: r1615412 - /subversion/branches/authzperf/subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 06.08.2014 07:19, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 03.08.2014 17:41, stefan2@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: stefan2
>> Date: Sun Aug  3 15:41:02 2014
>> New Revision: 1615412

>> Log:
>> * subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c
>>   (svn_config_create2,
>>    svn_config_get_config,
>>    svn_config__get_default_config,
>>    svn_config_addsection,
>>    svn_config_copy_config): Use our custom hash function for faster
>>                             insertion and lookup.
>
> Stefan, there's no reason to do this on the authzperf branch; it has
> very little to do with authz performance, and it just clutters up the
> diff wrt. trunk for no really good reason.
>
> If you really think this change is worthwhile, then it's OK to do it
> on trunk –- *after* we branch 1.9.

Same for r1615419, IMO.

-- Brane