Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com> on 2014/05/09 11:19:50 UTC

M2Eclipse vs. maven-eclipse-plugin: which is preferred?

Hi all,

Does the Apache Maven Project/Community has an official stance about
whether M2Eclipse or maven-eclipse-plugin is preferred way of importing
Maven projects into Eclipse?

I thought M2Eclipse was the blessed way, but I cannot find anything
"official" online.
Only that the maven-eclipse-plugin hasn't been updated for a while, but
that could also be a sign that it has no issue and Eclipse offers backwards
compatibility.

Note: this is not a poll about what you as a developer prefers, I'm looking
for whether there's an official position and which one it is.
Background: I'm in a argument in a code review for an archetype about
whether to include maven-eclipse-plugin configuration within the POM or
not; and any "official" choice would help us avoid "bikeshedding".

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/ <http://xn--nna.ma.xn--bwa-xxb.je/>

Re: M2Eclipse vs. maven-eclipse-plugin: which is preferred?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
If you just use the Eclipse/STS delivered by the Spring team, you get
everything that you need to use Maven without worrying about plug-ins.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: M2Eclipse vs. maven-eclipse-plugin: which is preferred?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
There is nothing official from the Maven itself. There used to be competing Maven Eclipse integration from different people here, and there has always been the command line generation vs IDE integration. So there is no officially blessed integration from the Maven project proper.

Also note that M2Eclipse and the maven-eclipse-plugin are not compatible. In M2E it specifically looks for project files created with the maven-eclipse-plugin and disables them.

On May 9, 2014, at 2:19 AM, Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does the Apache Maven Project/Community has an official stance about
> whether M2Eclipse or maven-eclipse-plugin is preferred way of importing
> Maven projects into Eclipse?
>
> I thought M2Eclipse was the blessed way, but I cannot find anything
> "official" online.
> Only that the maven-eclipse-plugin hasn't been updated for a while, but
> that could also be a sign that it has no issue and Eclipse offers backwards
> compatibility.
>
> Note: this is not a poll about what you as a developer prefers, I'm looking
> for whether there's an official position and which one it is.
> Background: I'm in a argument in a code review for an archetype about
> whether to include maven-eclipse-plugin configuration within the POM or
> not; and any "official" choice would help us avoid "bikeshedding".
>

> --
> Thomas Broyer
> /tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/ <http://xn--nna.ma.xn--bwa-xxb.je/>

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown