Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Kiran <ki...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/28 05:12:51 UTC

HBase and Datawarehouse

What is the difference between a NoSQL database like HBase and a data
warehouse? Doesn’t both store data from disparate sources and formats?

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Hmmm

I don't recommend HBase in situations where you are not running a M/R Framework. Sorry, as much as I love HBase, IMHO there are probably better solutions for a standalone NoSQL Databases. (YMMV depending on your use case.)
The strength of HBase is that its part of the Hadoop Ecosystem.

I would think that it would probably be better to go virtual than go multi-region servers on bare hardware.  You take a hit on I/O, but you can work around that too.

But I'm conservative unless I have to get creative. ;-)

But something to consider when white boarding ideas...

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Multiple RS per host?

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Running more than one RS on a host is an option for soaking up "extra" RAM,
since that is what we are discussing, but I can't recommend it because I
have no experience with that approach. I think I do want to experiment with
it, but not on a box with less than something like 16 or 24 cores.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Tell me why your RS needs to be that large?  (> 8 GB. )

I think the answer is that it depends. Especially when you start to add in coprocessors.
I'm not saying that there are not legitimate reasons, but that a lot of time, people just up the heap size without thinking about the problem.
To Kevin's point, when you exceed a certain point, you're going to need to really start to think about the tuning process.

MSLABs is now on by default or so I am told.

-Just because you can do something doesn't mean its a good idea. ;-)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Kevin O'dell <ke...@cloudera.com>.
Asaf,

--
Kevin O'Dell
Systems Engineer, Cloudera

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think for Pheoenix truly to succeed, it's need HBase to break the JVM
> Heap barrier of 12G as I saw mentioned in couple of posts. since Lots of
> analytics queries utilize memory, thus since its memory is shared with
> HBase, there's so much you can do on 12GB heap. On the other hand, if
> Pheonix was implemented outside HBase on the same machine (like Drill or
> Impala is doing), you can have 60GB for this process, running many OLAP
> queries in parallel, utilizing the same data set.

Can you shed more info on 12GB heap barrier ?

-Viral

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
Phoenix will succeed if HBase succeeds. Phoenix just makes it easier to
drive HBase to it's maximum capability. IMHO, if HBase is to make
further gains in the OLAP space, scans need to be faster and new, more
compressed columnar-store type block formats need to be developed.

Running inside HBase is what gives Phoenix most of its performance
advantage. Have you seen our numbers against Impala:
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/wiki/Performance? Drill will need
something to efficiently execute a query plan against HBase and Phoenix
is a good fit here.

Thanks,

James

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> HBase is not really intended for heavy data crunching

Yes it is. This is why we have first class MapReduce integration and
optimized scanners.

Recent versions, like 0.94, also do pretty well with the 'O' part of OLAP.

Urban Airship's Datacube is an example of a successful OLAP project
implemented on HBase: http://github.com/urbanairship/datacube

"Urban Airship uses the datacube project to support its analytics stack for
mobile apps. We handle about ~10K events per second per node."

Also there is Adobe's SaasBase:
http://www.slideshare.net/clehene/hbase-and-hadoop-at-adobe

Etc.

Where an HBase OLAP application will differ tremendously from a traditional
data warehouse is of course in the interface to the datastore. You have to
design and speak in the language of the HBase API, though Phoenix (
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix) is changing that.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM, anil gupta <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kiran,
>
> In HBase the data is denormalized but at the core HBase is KeyValue based
> database meant for lookups or queries that expect response in milliseconds.
> OLAP i.e. data warehouse usually involves heavy data crunching. HBase is
> not really intended for heavy data crunching. If you want to just store
> denoramlized data and do simple queries then HBase is good. For OLAP kind
> of stuff, you can make HBase work but IMO you will be better off using Hive
> for  data warehousing.
>
> HTH,
> Anil Gupta
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Kiran <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But in HBase data can be said to be in  denormalised state as the
> > methodology
> > used for storage is a (column family:column) based flexible schema .Also,
> > from Google's  big table paper it is evident that HBase is capable of
> doing
> > OLAP.SO where does the difference lie?
> >

> > --

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the late response. I totally agree with Anil. If you have
warehousing needs, I would also suggest Hive. You could easily map your
Hbase tables to your Hive tables and crunch crunch the data. It would save
you from writing lengthy and tedious MR jobs. And as Anil has said Pig is
another good choice, if you have to do lot of transformations on your data.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Inline.

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Kiran <ki...@gmail.com>.
Anil,

So it means HBase can help in easy retrieval and insertions on large volumes
of data but it lacks the power to analyse and summarize the data?In HBase
can't we write Map-Reduce jobs that can do this "data cunching"?As per your
analysis isn't that a feasible approach than the data warehousing systems?

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kiran,

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Re: HBase and Datawarehouse

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
*Database(SQL, NoSQL, Graph, Document etc etc)*

   1. Used for Online Transactional Processing (OLTP) but can be used for
   other purposes such as Data Warehousing. This records the data from the
   user for history.
   2. The tables and joins are complex since they are normalized (for
   RDMS). This is done to reduce redundant data and to save storage space.
   3. Entity – Relational modeling techniques are used for RDMS database
   design.
   4. Optimized for write operation.
   5. Performance is low for analysis queries.

*Warehouse*

   1. Used for Online Analytical Processing (OLAP). This reads the
   historical data for the Users for business decisions.
   2. The Tables and joins are simple since they are de-normalized. This is
   done to reduce the response time for analytical queries.
   3. Data – Modeling techniques are used for the Data Warehouse design.
   4. Optimized for read operations.
   5. High performance for analytical queries.
   6. Is *usually* a Database.

                                                                HTH

Warm Regards,
Tariq