Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/28 19:40:48 UTC

[veltools] merging 2.x into the trunk

now that 1.4 has been released and we're planning to end the 1.x
series, i would like to move the 2.x branch to become the trunk.  this
should avoid confusion about what to make patches against and where
work is happening.

i, however, have had little experience with doing big merges like
this.  so, before i do so, i thought i'd ask for
tips/instructions/warnings/objections from ya'll.  so, yeah, how best
to get tools/trunk to match tools/branches/2.x?  and then, do we
delete the 2.x branch?

or should we bother with any of this at all?

Re: [veltools] merging 2.x into the trunk

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 28, 2007 10:57 AM, Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net> wrote:
> What I suggest is to avoid merging since every important change has been
> ported to 2.x.

true.

> So what I would do is:
>
> $ svn mv -m "create 1.x branch" https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/1.x
>
> $ svn mv -m "2.x becomes trunk" https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/2.x  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk
>
> and that's it !

sounds much easier!  thanks.

> Every 2.x local working copy must then be switched using :
>
> $ svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk
>
> at its root, and the same goes for old trunk ones.
>
> If you think that merging is important, you can always try it on a local
> checkout to see how it goes (but with several ports and backports I'm
> sure there will be many conflicts) like this:
>
> $ svn merge -r511918:HEAD https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/2.x
>
> (it won't affect the repository). But I'm pretty sure it's useless.

yeah, i'm sure there'd be plenty of conflicts too.  so, given the
alternative above, i'll skip the merge.

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.