Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jack Woehr <ja...@purematrix.com> on 2004/03/08 21:03:51 UTC

Antidote

I'm wondering if the consensus of Ant developers is that Antidote is dead. I had been working fitfully
on some tasks Christoph Wilhelms had suggested but since CW seems to have wandered off, will
there be anyone interested in vetting my diffs if and when I get them ready for submission?

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "[F]ar in the empty sky a solitary esophagus slept
http://www.well.com/~jax #  upon motionless wing; everywhere brooded stillness,

Re: Antidote

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> Did I missed anything? I thought, I have submitted everything you've send
> way back when...

I posted a couple of times some months ago asking you about how to handle
intermediate diffs. As I began working on adding properties dialogs to Antidote,
I was hoping to submit some stuff that wouldn't be really done yet but would
be reasonably safe.

I guess I was agitating for committer on Antidote. In the limited time I can
put to it each week it's much easier if I don't have two source trees to
manage, yours and mine.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # We have gone from the horse and buggy
Senior Consultant  # to the moon rocket in one lifetime, but

Re: Antidote

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> If the Subject starts with
> [Antidote] I'll see it definately. I'll test that definately and a
> committ is very probable.

Okay, as soon as possible I'll dust things off and submit.

> One mission of Antidote is to cover as many of Ant's features as
> possible, and now that we hav macro support in Ant, Antidote should make
> that - somehow - easy usable. I have nothing conkrete in my mind.
> Brobably something like a scriptng wizard using the prepared Wizard
> framework, or a code editor with synax highlighting and code
> completion... And of course everything as small as possible to keep
> Antidote small and fast :-).

Well, there's really a lot of work to do here.

  1. I was working on being able to set properties when running Ant from Antidote.
  2. Then there is general issue of Wizards for which there is a sparse framework in place in the extant code base.
       1. E.g., your project wizard.
  3. Then there's the question of simple functional features:
       1. Keeping up with Ant.
       2. Another user mentioned on the mailing list that he can't set an 'id' attribute in Antidote.

Re: Antidote -- more on design issues.

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> Hmm... The current Antidote Forms are pretty generic and not really
> "composable".

I was composing new forms.

> Additionally I am not shure how complex a form within Antidoe could
> become, so that I see the value of using a visual gui designer, but let's wait
> and see :-)

Well, the heuristic I follow in open source projects is always to swim downstream :-)
Since it seems a little difficult at present to pursue GUI development, perhaps best would
be for me to concentrate on basic function.

First of all, if I merely update the DTD's describing Ant

     (ant-antidote/src/java/org/apache/tools/ant/gui/xml/dtd/*.dtd)

Is that safe? Is it useful?

Posted by Christoph Wilhelms <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jack

> > Oh-o... Let's see the generated GUI code, then. I never liked the
> > GUI-code NetBeans created.
>
> It's got its quirks but I am used to it. It allows really quick redesign
> of forms.

Hmm... The current Antidote Forms are pretty generic and not really
"composable". Additionally I am not shure how complex a form within Antidoe could
become, so that I see the value of using a visual gui designer, but let's wait
and see :-)

> > BTW: I am using Eclipse for Java develoment: You should take a look atit
> > :-)
>
> I am a grandfather, do I have enough time left in life to learn a new IDE?
> :-)

That was my thought in the beginning, too, but now that I am used to Eclipse
and it's performance, I would not like to miss it.

Greetings,
Christoph

Re: Antidote -- more on design issues.

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> Hi Jack!
>
> >  1. Check in minimal setting properties for Ant runs
> >     from inside Antidote.
> >        o May not really be useable but will preserve
> >          some hard-worked code.
>
> Let's have a look :-)

Okay, as soon as I am able.

Posted by Christoph Wilhelms <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jack!

>  1. Check in minimal setting properties for Ant runs
>     from inside Antidote.
>        o May not really be useable but will preserve
>          some hard-worked code.

Let's have a look :-)

>        o Oops, another issue here: I'm using NetBeans
>          so there are .form files I'd hate to lose.

Oh-o... Let's see the generated GUI code, then. I never liked the
GUI-code NetBeans created. I admired the code generated by the
VisualCompositionEdtor from VisualAge for Java, but since IBM canceld
that product I am purely coding Forms manually... But again: Let's have
a look :-).

BTW: I am using Eclipse for Java develoment: You should take a look atit
:-)

>  2. Do some basic keep-up-with-Ant work.

Yep!

Greetigs,
Christoph

Re: Antidote -- more on design issues.

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> >        2. Another user mentioned on the mailing list that he can't set an
> > 'id' attribute in Antidote.
>
> Not shure what that means

See the archived message:

     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=107832607829162&w=2

> >   4. GUI code editor
>
> Yes, but with a medium/low priority, because this will blow up the codebase
> telling my personal experience...

Okay, it's not happening :-)

> ago. Today I am not shure, if it is still of value, because NetBeans has an
> own and excellent Ant-integration

I will have to go to NetBeans current and see how good that integration is.

> Additionally IMHO we should just DO something for Antidote to keep up with
> Ant before we make bigger plans...

That's really probably the most important.

Okay, here's my plan:

Posted by Christoph Wilhelms <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jack!

>   1. Set properties when running Ant from Antidote.

Yep! One of the most important things for the usability of Antidote!

>   2. Wizards
>        1. project wizard.
>        2. scripting wizard

Agreed

>   3. Simple functional features:
>        1. Keeping up with Ant.

Very important

>        2. Another user mentioned on the mailing list that he can't set an
> 'id' attribute in Antidote.

Not shure what that means

>   4. GUI code editor

Yes, but with a medium/low priority, because this will blow up the codebase
telling my personal experience...

> And maybe
>
>   5. Making sure Antidote can run as a NetBeans module? Maybe then
>      the code editor can be leveraged off NetBeans .. you get the
>      simple code editor running Antidote standalone, the fancy
>      Netbeans editor if you run under NetBeans?

This has been one of the initial tasks for Antidote when it started 4 years
ago. Today I am not shure, if it is still of value, because NetBeans has an
own and excellent Ant-integration... Before we can think of that, we definatly
should provide much more functionality, that the current
NetBeans-ant-integration has ATM, what do you think?

RE: Antidote

Posted by Christoph Wilhelms <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jack!

First of all: If I forgot to submit your chnages (or I may have overseen
your posting) do not hesitate to resend. If the Subject starts with
[Antidote] I'll see it definately. I'll test that definately and a
committ is very probable.

And: Yes, I think it's not nice to maintain two different source streams
of one product! We should quickliy consolidate yours and the public one!

> > Anyone who'd like to contribute Macro-support to integrate in
> > Antidote?
>
> How would you define this?

One mission of Antidote is to cover as many of Ant's features as
possible, and now that we hav macro support in Ant, Antidote should make
that - somehow - easy usable. I have nothing conkrete in my mind.
Brobably something like a scriptng wizard using the prepared Wizard
framework, or a code editor with synax highlighting and code
completion... And of course everything as small as possible to keep
Antidote small and fast :-).

Other open tasks are more im portent, of course, like the project wizard
to create an initial project, and so on...

Greetings,
Christoph

Re: Antidote

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.

Re: Antidote

Posted by Christoph Wilhelms <ch...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jack!

> I'm wondering if the consensus of Ant developers is that Antidote is dead.
> I had been working fitfully
> on some tasks Christoph Wilhelms had suggested but since CW seems to have
> wandered off, will
> there be anyone interested in vetting my diffs if and when I get them
> ready for submission?

No, I have not wandered of! I am just busy with work and some other things
ATM... Sorry.

Did I missed anything? I thought, I have submitted everything you've send
way back when... It is some time ago, though (about a year, right!?!). If I
have forgotten anything I am sorry! Do not stop bugging me to do it, then. It's
not too much work and after some commits I'd really like to welcome you as an
additional Antidote committer, because your last additions where very good.

Sorry again, if I've missed anything.

By the way: