Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2006/12/04 21:51:48 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

The Apache CXF team has cut another candidate release which fixes the
previous branding issues. As no one else seems to have found any other
issues, we've cut a new build and published it here:

Binaries and Source Distributions:
http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eblin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/>
Maven Repository:
http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/repository/org/apache/cxf/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eblin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/repository/org/apache/cxf>
Release notes: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Apache+CXF+2.0-M1+Incubating+Release+Notes

(NOTE: we just started labelling the different releases as v1/v2/etc. While
this is our 3rd attempt, the above says v2 as we just started counting in
the directory name...)

We ask that you please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1

Thanks for everyone who has helped so far with the previous release
candidates and this one!

- The CXF team

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by Peter Jones <pe...@iona.com>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@iona.com>.
+1

--
Freeman Fang
Software Engineer

IONA Asia Pacific Software Development Center
No.2 Floor A Unit Information Center
Zhongguancun Software Park Haidian District,
Beijing, P.R.China

Tel.: +86-10-82825151 -  ex. 551
Fax: +86-10-8282-5210
freeman.fang@iona.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@iona.com>.
+1

--
Freeman Fang
Software Engineer

IONA Asia Pacific Software Development Center
No.2 Floor A Unit Information Center
Zhongguancun Software Park Haidian District,
Beijing, P.R.China

Tel.: +86-10-82825151 -  ex. 551
Fax: +86-10-8282-5210
freeman.fang@iona.com
Making Software Work Together TM

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.
The latest release build is again uploaded here [1], let's re-roll
again. Hopefully,we can go out and get some beer after this re-roll. :-)

Cheers,
Bo
[1] http://people.apache.org/~blin/

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Andrea Smyth <an...@iona.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrea Smyth <an...@iona.com>.
+1

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
+1

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Oh, forgot to say:
Very big thanks for taking the time to look at the release and commenting on
it.   Those of you that are taking the time to look at stuff on projects you
aren't a mentor on deserve a medal or something.

VERY big thanks.
Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Oh, forgot to say:

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:59, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:12, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/repository/org/a
> > >pach e/cxf/cxf-api/2.0-incubator-M1/cxf-api-2.0-incubator-M1-javadoc.jar
> > > is missing license, disclaimer and notice files. it cannot therefore be
> > > distributed. planning to distribute this jar from a repository? (if yes
> > > then IMHO the release needs recutting, if no it's fine)
> >
> > This is a bug/restriction in Maven.   The javadoc jars that Maven
> > produces doesn't have a way to put those files in them.   There is a fix
> > pending to the javadoc plugin to fix that, but that's been held up by the
> > maven team while they figure out a lot of other release issues.   Note
> > that NONE of the javadoc jars in
> > /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository have those.
>
> i don't check the jars in there, just in here :-)

Well.   All of the stuff in there SHOULD have appeared here first.   That is
THE distribution site for incubating maven artifacts.   Thus, the incubating
projects should have voted on them here first.  Thus, you should have seen
them.  (providing one of them popped into your "random selection of jars".
Guess one didn't.  We're the (un)lucky ones.)

Again, thanks for taking the time.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

[VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
Doh! didn't check reply to before sending

(sorry for the duplicate post daniel)

On 12/7/06, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:12, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 12/4/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > > (NOTE: we just started labelling the different releases as v1/v2/etc.
> > > While this is our 3rd attempt, the above says v2 as we just started
> > > counting in the directory name...)
> > >
> > > We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
> > >
> > > [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1
> > > [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
> >
> > +0 (hopefully soon to be +1 once the question below is resolved
> >
> > - questions -
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/repository/org/apach
> >e/cxf/cxf-api/2.0-incubator-M1/cxf-api-2.0-incubator-M1-javadoc.jar is
> > missing license, disclaimer and notice files. it cannot therefore be
> > distributed. planning to distribute this jar from a repository? (if yes
> > then IMHO the release needs recutting, if no it's fine)
>
> This is a bug/restriction in Maven.   The javadoc jars that Maven produces
> doesn't have a way to put those files in them.   There is a fix pending to
> the javadoc plugin to fix that, but that's been held up by the maven team
> while they figure out a lot of other release issues.   Note that NONE of the
> javadoc jars in /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository have
> those.

i don't check the jars in there, just in here :-)

AIUI there are historic quality issues with the maven repository. FWIW
i hope that one day we'll move to automatic verification using a
commit hook in subversion but there code that needs to be written
before that can happen

> I would say for now we just remove that jar if it's needed.  However, how did
> the servicemix and other projects votes pass if it's a requirement?  Is this
> another "new requirement in the middle of a vote" thing?

it's long standing policy: all distributed artifacts must contain
LICENSE and NOTICE files (plus disclaimer for podlings).

RAT doesn't do jars and spidering yet so these need to be checked
manually. so mistakes happen. i generally only manually check a
sample. (believe it or not, i do have better things to do on a rainy
thursday than check every jar in a servicemix release)

> > once cxf graduates, remember that all artifacts need to be prefixed with
> > apache
>
> I'm curious about this.   If you look at the org/apache section of the maven2
> repository (the public one where all the top level releases go), NOTHING is
> prefixed with apache.   The only one that is close is apacheds.   How can it
> be a requirement of a TLP if only a single TLP does it?   Isn't having them
> in "org/apache" sufficient?

it's the actual artifacts themselves: they should contain the full
project name (for example apache-ant). AIUI this gives the project
some trademark leverage over bogus jars.

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Bo,

Don't forget the tip from paul:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=116577422312412&w=2

Basically review what the Qpid guys did for the JMS disclaimers and
add the same for JAX-WS and JSR-181

thanks,
-- dims

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/7/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > > As opposed to cutting a new release completely, can we choose one/any of
> > the
> > > follow options and get your +1?
> > > 1. Not distribute the javadoc jar
> > > 2. Recut just that jar after figuring out how to make Maven comply to
> > our
> > > wishes
> > > 3. Update the JAR by hand to include the appropate licenses
> >
> > any of these sound fine
> >

> Alright, then I think we should just not distribute the javadoc jars for
> now. Given that its in Bo's directory, I can't delete them and he's
> undoubtedly asleep for a few more hours :-).
>
> If we decide we need to distribute them we can create a separate VOTE for
> the javadoc jars. Otherwise we'll just fix them our next release when
> hopefully the maven plugin will be working...
>
> With that caveat can we get an official +1? ;-)

certainly: here's my +1

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
On 12/7/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> > As opposed to cutting a new release completely, can we choose one/any of
> the
> > follow options and get your +1?
> > 1. Not distribute the javadoc jar
> > 2. Recut just that jar after figuring out how to make Maven comply to
> our
> > wishes
> > 3. Update the JAR by hand to include the appropate licenses
>
> any of these sound fine

Alright, then I think we should just not distribute the javadoc jars for
now. Given that its in Bo's directory, I can't delete them and he's
undoubtedly asleep for a few more hours :-).

If we decide we need to distribute them we can create a separate VOTE for
the javadoc jars. Otherwise we'll just fix them our next release when
hopefully the maven plugin will be working...

With that caveat can we get an official +1? ;-)

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> - questions -
> >

> > http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/repository/org/apache/cxf/cxf-api/2.0-incubator-M1/cxf-api-2.0-incubator-M1-javadoc.jar
> > is missing license, disclaimer and notice files. it cannot therefore
> > be distributed. planning to distribute this jar from a repository? (if
> > yes then IMHO the release needs recutting, if no it's fine)
>

> I could be wrong here, but after a quick investigation, it appears we hit a
> limitation/bug of Maven's javadoc plugin. All the others turned out fine,
> but for API we tweaked some of the javadoc parameters it looks like, so
> maybe this affected things.
>
> As opposed to cutting a new release completely, can we choose one/any of the
> follow options and get your +1?
> 1. Not distribute the javadoc jar
> 2. Recut just that jar after figuring out how to make Maven comply to our
> wishes
> 3. Update the JAR by hand to include the appropate licenses

any of these sound fine

> - notes, comments and suggestions (not requirements) -
> >
> > MANIFEST's are a little empty. sun recommends quite a list in one
> > place or another (Extension-Name, Specification-Title,
> > Specification-Vendor, Specification-Version, Implementation-Vendor-Id,
> > Implementation-Title, Implementation-Vendor, Implementation-Version).
> > AIUI maven will generate these if asked.
>

> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-298
>
> once cxf graduates, remember that all artifacts need to be prefixed with
> > apache
>

> As in apache-cxf-api-2.0.jar?

yep

> the source contains some xml specifications that are licensed under
> > non-open source licenses (copy and distribution only). it is proposed
> > (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html) that this is against policy.
> > there is still time to join in the discussions (on legal-discuss)
> > before this policy is adopted.
>

> OK, we've already brought up these licenses on the legal list, but haven't
> heard anything back yet.

yeh - just a FYI

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Robert,

- questions -

> http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1-v2/repository/org/apache/cxf/cxf-api/2.0-incubator-M1/cxf-api-2.0-incubator-M1-javadoc.jar
> is missing license, disclaimer and notice files. it cannot therefore
> be distributed. planning to distribute this jar from a repository? (if
> yes then IMHO the release needs recutting, if no it's fine)

I could be wrong here, but after a quick investigation, it appears we hit a
limitation/bug of Maven's javadoc plugin. All the others turned out fine,
but for API we tweaked some of the javadoc parameters it looks like, so
maybe this affected things.

As opposed to cutting a new release completely, can we choose one/any of the
follow options and get your +1?
1. Not distribute the javadoc jar
2. Recut just that jar after figuring out how to make Maven comply to our
wishes
3. Update the JAR by hand to include the appropate licenses

- notes, comments and suggestions (not requirements) -

> MANIFEST's are a little empty. sun recommends quite a list in one
> place or another (Extension-Name, Specification-Title,
> Specification-Vendor, Specification-Version, Implementation-Vendor-Id,
> Implementation-Title, Implementation-Vendor, Implementation-Version).
> AIUI maven will generate these if asked.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-298

once cxf graduates, remember that all artifacts need to be prefixed with
> apache

As in apache-cxf-api-2.0.jar?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by Willem Jiang <ni...@iona.com>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1

+1

Looks good from an "administrative" aspect was well
as a functional one :)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Incubator CXF 2.0-M1 Release (RC 3)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.