Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by manjula wijewickrema <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/23 07:46:13 UTC

Databases

Hi,

Normally, when I am building my index directory for indexed documents, I
used to keep my indexed files simply in a directory called 'filesToIndex'.
So in this case, I do not use any standar database management system such
as mySql or any other.

1) Will it be possible to use mySql or any other for the purpose of manage
indexed documents in Lucene?

2) Is it necessary to follow such kind of methodology with Lucene?

3) If we do not use such type of database management system, will there be
any disadvantages with large number of indexed files?

Appreciate any reply from you.
Thanks,
Manjula.

Re: Databases

Posted by manjula wijewickrema <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your information.

Regards,
Manjula.

Re: Databases

Posted by tarun sapra <t....@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks & Regards
Tarun Sapra

Re: Databases

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
3) Sounds you want to use Lucene for storage, without databases like
mysql. It may work, but hard for later data management.
1) and 2) You can use mysql as main storage, and pull data out to create
Lucene indexes. Pay attention to incremental changes. It's a continuous
process, not one-time data import. Or you would have to put a hook in
your program to write new content to the index. Anyway, you can get it
work, but maybe not as simple as you expected.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request)
got 2.6 Million Euro funding!

Re: Databases

Posted by Glen Newton <gl...@gmail.com>.
LuSql is a tool specifically oriented to extracting from JDBC
accessible databases and indexing the contents.
You can find it here:
 http://lab.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cistilabswiki/index.php/LuSql
User manual:
 http://cuvier.cisti.nrc.ca/~gnewton/lusql/v0.9/lusqlManual.pdf.html

A new version is coming out in the next  month, but the existing one
should be fine for what you have described.
If you have any questions, just let me know.

Note that if you are interested in using Solr for your application,
the data import handler (DIH) is a very flexible way of doing what you
are describing, in a Solr context.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler

Thanks,
-Glen Newton