Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com> on 2005/08/07 03:58:51 UTC

SPF implementation

Has anyone sucessfully implemented SPF scoring? I have it working with 3.0.4,
but everything is a "trusted relay" -- From debug:

  debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_pass
    (Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0xa26763c))
  debug: SPF: message was delivered entirely via trusted relays, not required

I also noticed in spf.cf the rules aren't scored.

Documentation seems to be lacking.

--
Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com>
There is nothing more agreeable in life than to make peace with the

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Clay Irving" <cl...@panix.com>

> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:39:24PM -0500, Steve Martin wrote:
>
> > It works for me.  If the message only went through relays listed in
> > "internal_networks" and "trusted_networks" per your configuration, it
> > won't do the tests since you have explicitly told it that those
> > relays are trusted.
> >
> > You should be seeing "ALL_TRUSTED" as one of the rules that fired on
> > the messages it isn't checking.
>
> I set ALL_TRUSTED to 0.0

If there is more than one wrong way to solve the problem you got what is
perhaps the most wrong of all.

It's a pain to set it up properly. But I highly recommend you do. A lot
of good features will suddenly begin to work.

{o.o}

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.
Ilan Aisic wrote:
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> I don't see the ALL_TRUSTED ever in action because at my MTA level
> (Exim 4.5), I don't direct mail that comes from my internal network
> through SA.
> Anyone sees a reason to do so?
>
> I do recommend directing all the internal email through an anti-virus
> (ClamAV in my case).  I thought this was redundant but was burnt when
> someone inadvertently brought a virus on her laptop and once inside
> and behind the firewall, it started to send itself to everyone.
> Luckily, in addition to having Clam on the server, most people also
> run Norton or something else on their PCs.
>
> The chances of someone inadvertently bringing in ratware that works as
> a virus is a lot smaller.

I do exactly what you say..
Incoming Spam+Clam
Outgoing Clam

The biggest reason I do this is because all users must auth to send mail
  internally, port 25 in/out is blocked except to/from the mail server.
If someone gets a virus/ratware inside I use the clueX4 BOFH style :-D
But seriously, I do this mostly to save processing. There is a lot of
traffic outbound that is well over the 300KB cutoff of my scanner, so
sending everything outbound through is a waste of time/cpu (as far as
spam goes.) I do scan for viruses in/out just as a matter of course. We
are a small org, so it's easy to see if a user is misbehaving. You will
have to adjust for your org, and environment.

JamesDR

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by Ilan Aisic <ia...@gmail.com>.
Just my 2 cents:

Registered Linux User 8124 http://counter.li.org

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Clay Irving wrote:
> I set ALL_TRUSTED to 0.0

That helps explain it.  The SPF implementation depends on a properly set
up trust path.  If you were seeing misfires on ALL_TRUSTED, that
probably means your trust path was incorrect.

The proper solution is to set your trusted_networks and
internal_networks correctly (see the docs), then re-enable ALL_TRUSTED.

If you're still having problems with ALL_TRUSTED misfiring, run
spamassassin -D on a problem message and see if there's a problem
parsing the Received: headers.  That will also cause problems with the
trust path and anything that depends on it (SPF included)

A lot of SA features -- not just ALL_TRUSTED -- depend on a correct
trust path.  Disabling ALL_TRUSTED won't fix those.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com>.
On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:39:24PM -0500, Steve Martin wrote:

> It works for me.  If the message only went through relays listed in
> "internal_networks" and "trusted_networks" per your configuration, it
> won't do the tests since you have explicitly told it that those
> relays are trusted.
>
> You should be seeing "ALL_TRUSTED" as one of the rules that fired on
> the messages it isn't checking.

I set ALL_TRUSTED to 0.0

--
Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com>
My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of
other pessimists.
- Jean Rostand

Re: SPF implementation

Posted by Steve Martin <st...@planomartins.com>.