Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Uwe Braunholz <uw...@hotmail.de> on 2008/09/09 06:26:29 UTC

xcopy Backup of repositories

Hello,

as the "svnadmin dump" seems to handle 100MB per hour only the backup
takes days.

I wonder if it is save to backup the whole repository folder  into a
zip file while everything is running (but no one is committing at that
time)?

How would the restore work in this case? Would it be enough to copy
all back into place and start over again?

We are using svn 1.4 (willing to update to 1.5) on a windows server.

Thank you!

Regards,
uwe

Re: xcopy Backup of repositories

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Uwe Braunholz <uw...@hotmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as the "svnadmin dump" seems to handle 100MB per hour only the backup
> takes days.
>
> I wonder if it is save to backup the whole repository folder  into a
> zip file while everything is running (but no one is committing at that
> time)?
>
> How would the restore work in this case? Would it be enough to copy
> all back into place and start over again?
>
> We are using svn 1.4 (willing to update to 1.5) on a windows server.

I think this is a usage question. Those belong on users@ please resend
your message there.

Bye,

Erik.