Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> on 2003/07/12 12:12:36 UTC

[RT] holy repository grail

Dear devs

I often stumble over the discussion what repository shall we use and
many fights emerge out of this.

I know there are data abstraction layers, or at least attempts to
provide them, but they are all far from perfect.

Beside what exists, I know what I want:

1) The Simplicity of a filesystem
2) Relational DB features, such as for instance transactions and SQL
3) XML DB features, such as for instance XPath queries
4) The features of an object oriented repository such as for instance Zope
5) Meta data
6) Versioning
7) Network access  (e.g. WebDAV)
8) Anything else? ;-)

ok, I might be a bit naive to look for such a holy grail (as Gregor
called it), but WTF.

I see two possibilities to find a solution:

1) Either build (or rather to wait for) a repository with all these
features (contradictions included) as for instance Reiser
or Micrososft are doing

2) Glueing something together, which might be ugly on the backside, but
could be hidden very nicely
  (I have made some very positive experience lately re glueing CVS and
HSQL-DB)

Since I am probably ignorant with regard to existing approaches and
opinions, I am looking forward
to all responses and suggestions. I am happy to learn :-)

Thanks

Michael

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
another very interesting link (from the Cocoon mailing list. maybe we
should merge the threads):

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/storage/xmlfs/

Thanks

Michael

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Robert Koberg wrote, On 15/07/2003 2.08:

> Hi,
>
> I was going to mention Berkeley XML DB, but the license is less (more?) than
> Apache seems to embrace.

At Cocoon we use http://xml.apache.org/xindice/ when we need an xml DB.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

I was going to mention Berkeley XML DB, but the license is less (more?) than
Apache seems to embrace.

It was ridiculously easy for me to transition from file system based storage
to the native XML DB. Just point the URIResolver to the DB(s) instead of the
content folder(s). Setup your indexes like you do for Lucene and away you
go. (However, it is not being used in a released version of our product)

It would be great if more java folk got involved over there. Java seems to
be an after-thought, currently.

---

I believe this has been discussed before, but what about Subversion? It
seems to have everything in Michael's list - though it doesn't seem like
they will ever ship v1 (and java is an after-thought there too).

Hoping you don't come across the killer rabbits and do find the grail :)
-Rob

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Michael Wechner wrote, On 15/07/2003 1.17:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> Well, Apache Jakarta Slide should provide most of this:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/architecture.html
>
> right, but as I understand it not as a whole, but rather certain
> features per repository/store.
> I would like all these features as a whole, so I guess it's more similar
> to certian existing virtual filesystems
> or to a future version of Reiser FS.
>
> Or do I misunderstand Slide.?

I never used it myself, but from what I read on the site, it should
provide all those features.

Why not subscribe there and ask the question there? They surely know
more on this than me and you together ;-)

>> 1 - yes
>> 2 - yes
>> 3 - should be in the JSR probably
>
> you mean JSR-170?

Yes. Slide should be the RI.

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
seems like Stefano also discovered the ReiserFS ;-)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105829424302544&w=2

Michael

Re: [RT] holy repository grail

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
For the record here are my comments.

At 11:12 12/07/03, Michael Wechner wrote:
>1) The Simplicity of a filesystem

There is nothing like dropping a file on disk and having it appear on your
site.

>2) Relational DB features, such as for instance transactions and SQL

Well this is necessary for all sorts of things. An awful lot of content is
not "page" based, but perhaps record based and I think it would be a
mistake to totally ignore that.

>3) XML DB features, such as for instance XPath queries

Yep - I have tried out XIndice with Cocoon (XIndice is Apache's XML DB for
those not familiar)
but gave up - partly because of the lack of update ability when I tried it.

>4) The features of an object oriented repository such as for instance Zope

Less interested.

>5) Meta data

Er yes. This is something I am very very interested in - I even developed
my own crude
metadata system for book reviews....
http://news.diversebooks.com/metadata/
http://news.diversebooks.com/test/listmetadata.pl

>6) Versioning

Um - well, we don't really need much more than "go back to an earlier
version".
Very few people need full blown CVS style systems.

>7) Network access  (e.g. WebDAV)

I still envisage users editing documents "off-line" eg with OpenOffice and
then "uploading" to the
draft site.

>Since I am probably ignorant with regard to existing approaches and
>opinions, I am looking forward
>to all responses and suggestions. I am happy to learn :-)

My suggested priority is documentation, documentation and more documentation.

I think that with better and more stable examples we could get more people
using and developing Lenya
and *then* look at new features.

Thanks again folks - I know that I haven't contributed any real source code
yet - keep up the good work.

Alex

Available for java/perl/C++/web development in London, UK or nearby.
Apache FOP, Cocoon, Turbine, Struts,XSL:FO, XML, Tomcat, JSP
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/