Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/05 13:36:27 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Creating a reproducible environment for Beam Jenkins Tests

BIG +1, the previous work on having docker build images [1] had a
similar goal (to have a reproducible build environment). But this is
even better because we will guarantee the exact same environment in
Jenkins as well as any further improvements. It is important to
document the setup process as part of this (for future maintenance +
local reproducibility).

Just for clarification this is independent of running the tests
locally without docker, it is more to improve the reproducibility of
the environment we have on jenkins locally for example to address some
weird Heissenbug.

I just added BEAM-5311 to track the removal of the docker build images
when this is ready (of course if there are no objections to this
proposal).

[1] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/docker-images/

Posted by Yifan Zou <yi...@google.com>.
Thanks all. I am struggling with the missing buildscan reports when running
jobs with containers. I believe it is a big disadvantage to use docker if
the buildscan doesn't show up. I will keep updating my progress in this
thread. In the meanwhile, any comments, suggestions and objections are
still welcome.

Regards.
Yifan

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.