Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Mchale <mm...@nuhorizons.com> on 2007/01/26 22:33:59 UTC

Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25

A team, of which I am a member, is in the process of moving several
applications from Websphere App server to Tomcat. I've had an email function
in my application for a long while with no trouble. Now, I have an
intermittent problem occurring when I try to use JavaMail to send email.  It
works sometimes and not others. The exception says something about
connecting to the localhost, but I set mail.smtp.host to a remote host.

It appears to be related to system resources in some way because the problem
tends to arise after the server has been running for a few hours. I
increased the heap size and the MaxPermSize, but there doesn't really seem
to be a shortage in memory according to Lambda Probe. It still happens on
and off. There are also a few other web apps running on this Tomcat instance
as well.

Any ideas on how to make this more stable would be appreciated.  Are there
Tomcat specific things I need to do for JavaMail?

Thanks so much for any help,
Matt

Below are the stack trace and a snippet of the JavaMail code.

Properties props = System.getProperties();
props.put("mail.smtp.host", this.smtpServer);
Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(props, null);
Message msg = new MimeMessage(session);
msg.setFrom(new InternetAddress(this.from));
msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, InternetAddress.parse(this.to));
msg.setSubject(this.subject);
msg.setText(this.body);
msg.setSentDate(new Date());
Transport.send(msg);

ERROR 2007-01-26 11:14:37,913 (ComplicatedEmail.java:send:125) -
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost,
port: 25;
nested exception is:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost,
port: 25;
nested exception is:
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1282)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:275)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:156)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:105)
at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:168)
at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:98)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.www.ComplicatedEmail.send(ComplicatedEmail.java:11
2)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.util.AlertEmailUtil.sendEmail(AlertEmailUtil.java:
265)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.util.AlertEmailUtil.sendDesignEmail(AlertEmailUtil
.java:242)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.util.AlertEmailUtil.send5C2SentSuccessfully(AlertE
mailUtil.java:148)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.controller.transmit.remote.RemoteRequestRegistrati
onTransmitter.sendSuccessAlert(RemoteRequestRegistrationTransmitter.java:150
)
at
com.nuhorizons.rosettanet.controller.transmit.remote.RemoteMessageTransmitte
r.doPost(RemoteMessageTransmitter.java:107)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
at
FilterChain.java:252)
at
ain.java:173)
at
va:213)
at
va:178)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126
)
at
org.jstripe.tomcat.probe.Tomcat55AgentValve.invoke(Tomcat55AgentValve.java:2
0)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105
)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541)

at
:107)
at
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.jav
a:527)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWo
rkerThread.java:80)
at
a:684)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:232)
at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:189)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1250)
... 30 more

The information contained in this e-mail is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for use by the  individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution hereof is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete the material from your computer and immediately notify us at   631-396-5000.  Thank you.

RE: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Matthew Mchale [mailto:mmchale@nuhorizons.com]
> Subject: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 25
>
> It appears to be related to system resources in some way

Are you running out of connections (sockets), or possibly file
descriptors?  Is everything that's being opened also being properly
closed?  The limits for a given process are platform dependent and
usually configurable.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.