Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Stefano Invernizzi <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 17:21:14 UTC

Including the concept of Organizations within Allura

Dear all,
A few months ago, Simone Gatti and I submitted a portion of code we had
developed for out Master Thesis. We provided the code in the branch
si/5566, even if I can't find the branch anymore. Our contribution
implements the concept of an organization within Allura, allowing
companies, education institutions or foundations to be explicitly
represented within the forge. As for users, organizations are linked to a
project, representing the organization’s profile. Projects can be
explicitly linked to organizations participating in their development, and
users can state their belonging to a specific organization, which is
allowed to either confirm or not the user’s involvement within the
organization itself. Finally, as for users, we implemented a statistics
mechanism, allowing computing stats about the contributions provided by
organizations.
If you think these contributions could be useful for the forge, we would be
very happy to see them included in Allura. If it is necessary, we can
re-submit the code to a new branch. Any comment concerning our work is
welcome, and we are available to provide additional explanations or
modifications, if needed. Thank you very much,
Regards,
Stefano Invernizzi

Re: Including the concept of Organizations within Allura

Posted by Cory Johns <cj...@slashdotmedia.com>.
It looks like the branch was pruned from the SourceForge Allura repository,
but it's still available on the ASF Allura repository, at:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-allura.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/si/5566

I can't personally speak to the code for that branch, since I haven't
reviewed it, but I know we also have the concepts of Neighborhoods in
Allura which seems like it has at least some conceptual overlap.  Can you
explain to me a bit more about how the idea of Organizations complements
and contrasts with Neighborhoods?  Neighborhoods are obviously more
project-oriented whereas I would expect Organizations to be more
user-oriented, but would it make sense to merge the two concepts together?

The user statistics code is merged, though it is not enabled on SF I
believe due to some concerns over performance that we had not yet had time
to investigate (the concerns arose when scaling the stats collection to the
millions of users & projects that SF has), but the feature is available and
works.