Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Do...@softechnics.com on 2008/01/18 20:39:49 UTC

Quick start

I have just recently downloaded the ServiceMix binary build v3.2.1 and
successfully installed and started the ESB. My next step was to deploy a
sample application per the Users Guide at:

http://servicemix.apache.org/1-quick-start.html#1.Quickstart-Deployasamp
leapplication

I was disappointed to find that the deployed filesystem does not have a
'components' folder as specified in the Users Guide.

I then proceeded to the Configuration page (which redirected me to a
newer Configuration page). This page shows a filesystem that does not
match the filesystem created when I installed ServiceMix:

http://servicemix.apache.org/6-configuring-servicemix.html

In particular, I do not have the 'components' (already discovered),
'deploy' or 'install' folders. I do have a 'hotdeploy' folder, which I
assume replaces the 'deploy' folder and I have an 'extras' folder that
is not listed in the list of folders making up this filesystem.

Finally, I tried to start the ServiceMix JMX Console, but cannot find
the 'tooling' folder. It seems that the documentation does not match the
product release.

How does a newbie to ServiceMix get started without matching
documentation? Am I looking in the wrong area?

Doug Thomas

Re: Quick start

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 18, 2008 1:07 PM,  <Do...@softechnics.com> wrote:
> I've found that the Tutorials more closely match the distribution than
> does the User Guide. Not perfect, but better.
>
> I wouldn't mind correcting the documentation, and maybe I will in the
> future, but right now I know so little about ESBs and ServiceMix, in
> particular, that I'm not sure I wouldn't make things even worse than
> they already are.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.

Sure, if you have any additional questions, please post them here.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

RE: Quick start

Posted by Do...@softechnics.com.
I've found that the Tutorials more closely match the distribution than
does the User Guide. Not perfect, but better.

I wouldn't mind correcting the documentation, and maybe I will in the
future, but right now I know so little about ESBs and ServiceMix, in
particular, that I'm not sure I wouldn't make things even worse than
they already are.

Thanks for the quick response.

> I have just recently downloaded the ServiceMix binary build v3.2.1 and
> successfully installed and started the ESB. My next step was to deploy
> sample application per the Users Guide at:

http://servicemix.apache.org/1-quick-start.html#1.Quickstart-Deployasamp
> leapplication
>
> I was disappointed to find that the deployed filesystem does not have
> 'components' folder as specified in the Users Guide.
>
> I then proceeded to the Configuration page (which redirected me to a
> newer Configuration page). This page shows a filesystem that does not
> match the filesystem created when I installed ServiceMix:
>
> http://servicemix.apache.org/6-configuring-servicemix.html
>
> In particular, I do not have the 'components' (already discovered),
> 'deploy' or 'install' folders. I do have a 'hotdeploy' folder, which I
> assume replaces the 'deploy' folder and I have an 'extras' folder that
> is not listed in the list of folders making up this filesystem.
>
> Finally, I tried to start the ServiceMix JMX Console, but cannot find
> the 'tooling' folder. It seems that the documentation does not match
the
> product release.
>
> How does a newbie to ServiceMix get started without matching
> documentation? Am I looking in the wrong area?

You are correct, unfortunately the documentation is not in sync with
some recent changes to the directory structure. The hotdeploy
directory did replace both the components and deploy directories. As
for the ServiceMix JMX Console, I don't know the state of that for
sure, but I think it may not be actively developed because most folks
use either Jconsole or MC4J.

If you're interested to fix up the docs, we'd really appreciate the
help. The website is backed by a wiki and all you need to do is
register for an account in order to start contributing changes. Just
scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Edit Page link.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"