Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/23 17:40:44 UTC

IoC meets Servlet API

Folks,

The servlet API as defined by Sun, is fine to a point.  In some senses
in is quite IoC like in that an instance is decorated with request
details and context.  If we were to design a servlet api from scratch
would we come up with the same thing or would we make think even more
component like with lifecycle/IoC concepts (Serviceable, LogEnabled,
Contextualizable etc)?

Just me thinking out loud....

- Paul

Re: IoC meets Servlet API

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>I like the servlet API and almost all the uglies have been removed as it
>evolved. It now almost completely implements IOC. Theres still a few minor
>violations (the latest spec still have Servlet.getName() ?) but no longer can
>you reference other servlets nor jump out of your working area.

As fas as it goes yes.  We could not have a servlet as LogEnabled though
without being outside the servlet spec.  Any container that could
setLogger(..) on it after instantiation would also be outside the spec.
 Yet we all agree that LogEnabled is good.  Never mind, this was a silly
thread for me to start.

- Paul

Re: IoC meets Servlet API

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:40, Paul Hammant wrote:
> The servlet API as defined by Sun, is fine to a point.  In some senses
> in is quite IoC like in that an instance is decorated with request
> details and context.  If we were to design a servlet api from scratch
> would we come up with the same thing

I like the servlet API and almost all the uglies have been removed as it
evolved. It now almost completely implements IOC. Theres still a few minor
violations (the latest spec still have Servlet.getName() ?) but no longer can
you reference other servlets nor jump out of your working area.

About the only thing that annoys me is the single config file makes it
diffifcult to reuse a set of servlets without GUI editors to help you or much
copy-paste action.

--
Cheers,

Pete