Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/07 04:24:15 UTC

Issues currently assigned to release 1.0 that I would like to change

Actually, I wrote the last email looking for guidance and then just
went through all the Release 1.0 issues and compiled the list of
things I want to change.

I think it's important that we push to get a release out, and part of
doing this is having a clear view of what is part of the release. When
we are pushing for a release, I think it is important to identify what
*must* go in and what can wait. Generally, if something is not
absolutely required, I think it should go in the next release. If
someone cares about it and gets a patch in before we release, then
great, but if not it shouldn't stop the release. Therefore the largest
list by far is the list of things I want to move to Release 1.1.

This is the list of issues I've reviewed and more recommended changes
and rationales. Please review and respond if there are things you
don't agree with. If there is no objection, I will try to make these
changes this weekend.

Thanks,
Ethan

Change to "Fixed":

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-53 - Implement access
pools <-- Looks to me like this is complete
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-40 - Static Texts in
Resource File <-- Is this complete? We have Chinese translations
already
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-125 - Change Date format
to make lists sortable: Users and Streams pages <-- This appears to be
fixed (I've set it to resolved)

Change to "Won't fix":

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-102 - Ability to add
tags to message are missing <-- Tags can be added through hash tags,
or API
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-47 - Some Licensing Nits
<-- Seems like the result of the discussion was "Won't fix"

Move to Release 1.1:

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-143 - HTTP Post Actions
should post a message with the results of the HTTP post action <--
Lack of consensus on proper implementation (keep as patch for release
1.0)
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-107 - Harmonize code to
display of users <-- Nice to have, not required for release (also
blocked by new UI)
3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-109 - Harmonize
tag/found word searches <-- Nice to have, part of new UI build (now
linked)
4. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-18 - JMX support <-- Nice to have
5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-16 - Unifying server
calls (JSON-related) <-- Seems like a nice to have
6. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-122 - Message when user
is deleted from a pool is missing <-- Seems like a nice to have
7. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-119 - Messages for
Action Page <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion
8. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-121 - Messages for
Streams Page <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion
9. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-120 - Messages for Track
Page are missing <-- Nice to have, and needs more discussion (or
perhaps I'm misunderstanding this group of issues)

Needs discussion or more information:

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-117 - Current Filter
Info on Streams page <-- Is this functionality ready for or required
for a 1.0 release? Perhaps we should hide streams for the 1.0 release?
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-152 - Posting with
Japanese characters cause problems <-- We need a failing test

Re: Issues currently assigned to release 1.0 that I would like to change

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
I have access to the versions in JIRA.  What do you want to do?

I'll also try and figure out how to give you permission to do the same.

D.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Excellent, it looks like I have access now. Thank you!

I will start making trouble post-haste.

Ethan

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Ethan!

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Vassil,

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Ethan,

I don't have anything to add to your comments, other than that I agree.
IMO it is more important to get a release shipped, than it being technically perfect.

@Dick: AFAIK issue 47 is OK.
Robert says in one of the comments to the task "<snip> Apache prefers not to have copyright notices", he doesn't say it is forbidden. Can someone (Mentor or anyone else who knows) please confirm this?

What do we do about the streams page?
I don't see why we should remove it, but I think it at least requires a better documentation (in the wiki) before it is released.
Even if we decide to keep streams, I don't think #117 would be a necessity for release 1.0.

/Anne

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for doing this Ethan!
I looked at the tasks last night too and felt that it would be better if we cleaned up a bit too.
I am a bit swamped at work today, will take a closer look at your suggestions later.

//Anne