Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Burns <st...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/20 00:31:47 UTC

Parsing error with jsp:include when migrating from 4.1.X to 5.0.18 on jsp files that have worked for years

In our deployment we have hundreds of jsp files with static include statements,
like

<!-- style 1 -->
<jsp:include page="SomeOtherJspFile.jsp flush="true">
</jsp:include>

Instead of shortening this to:

<!-- style 2 -->
<jsp:include page="SomeOtherJspFile.jsp flush="true"/>

we decided in our jsp coding standard that the include should have a separate
closing tag in case a <jsp:param .../> had to be added later on.

The jsp compiler chokes on these include statements using style 1 (see above)
with the error:

2004-02-17 16:46:12 ApplicationDispatcher[/deployment20040217a]
Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /path/NameOfJsp.jsp(60,0) Expecting
"jsp:param" standard action with "name" and "value" attributes

Of course if the jsp is changed to use style 2 (see above), there is no error.

We are very reluctant to change all of these jsps, since Weblogic and Websphere
and earlier versions of Tomcat had no problem with this syntax.  Can someone
point out why this is considered bad syntax after all these years?

=====

Steve Burns