Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Francisco Carriedo Scher <fc...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/30 19:15:27 UTC

GC and performance

Hello!

I am running JR in the following environment, a file is saved on a
repository and then copied to another one through a GET method (the same
way a FileInputStream can be provided, an InputStream comming from the HTTP
connection). Memory, bandwitdh and CPU are enough and powerful, and it
iniatilly completes about 15 / 16 transactions as described. But after an
hour it comes down to 8-10 and after one hour more it keeps on 1-2.

I am not running garbage collection as i assumed it does affect only to the
space on disk, not the persistence manager, but looking about possible
causes of such degradation on performance, misunderstanding the GC role
could be an argument.

Could anyone please state if not running the GC does affect further than
the space on disk?

Thanks for your time, regards!

Re: GC and performance

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@onehippo.com>.
Hi,

see my comments inline:

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Francisco Carriedo Scher
<fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running JR in the following environment, a file is saved on a
> repository and then copied to another one through a GET method (the same
> way a FileInputStream can be provided, an InputStream comming from the HTTP
> connection). Memory, bandwitdh and CPU are enough and powerful, and it
> iniatilly completes about 15 / 16 transactions as described. But after an
> hour it comes down to 8-10 and after one hour more it keeps on 1-2.

How are you handling the file upload / copy? I've seen such slowdowns
mostly if a JCR session is reused and not refreshed or logged out.

> I am not running garbage collection as i assumed it does affect only to the
> space on disk, not the persistence manager, but looking about possible
> causes of such degradation on performance, misunderstanding the GC role
> could be an argument.

Yes the Garbage collector on the datastore is only for disk space
usage and not so much for performance.

> Could anyone please state if not running the GC does affect further than
> the space on disk?

AFAIK the answer to that question would be no.

--
Jeroen Reijn
Solution Architect

Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com

http://about.me/jeroenreijn