Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Mills, Joseph" <jo...@midokura.jp> on 2013/02/15 04:02:06 UTC

Security Groups in Advanced Zone - Plugin Support

I was looking at the FS for Security Group Isolation in Advanced Zone,
(CLOUDSTACK-737) and I noticed that:

"Only one network service provider is supported in advanced SG enabled zone
- Virtual Router"

Are there currently any plans to add pluggability support for Security
Groups in 4.2, and if so, is any timeline estimate available? As far as we
know, all other Services are pluggable, and we would like to support
Security Group Isolation as well.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Security Groups in Advanced Zone - Plugin Support

Posted by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com>.
Hi Chiradeep and Anthony,

Thanks for the feedback, that clarifies the scope of the 4.2 Security
Groups work nicely, especially around pluggability and supported network
models.

Thanks,
Dave.

Posted by Anthony Xu <Xu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com>.
Hi Chiradeep,

Thanks for jumping in, great to get feedback on this one.

Let me back up and explain where we're coming from.

Let's take the Firewall service as an example. When a user sets
Firewall rules via the UI / API, the request (skipping a few steps for
brevity) ends up in FirewallManagerImpl, where the relevant
FirewallServiceProvider class is called. In other words, the Firewall
rules Capability is pluggable - an Element can implement the
FirewallServiceProvider, set Firewall as one of its Capabilities etc,
and it will then be able to receive and take care of new Firewall
rules.

However, SecurityGroups are handled by SecurityGroupManagerImpl, which
simply sends a Command to the agent without checking for, or calling
into, a SecurityGroupsProvider. In other words, it's not pluggable.

If the service was pluggable, our Provider (Element) would inform the
MidoNet virtual network of the new security group rule, and this rule
would then be applied to any traffic coming into / out of the virtual
network from the relevant VMs. We wouldn't send a Command to the
agent, because there's no need in our case.

That's the background for why we're interested in pluggability for the
service.

Our second question was aimed at checking our understanding of
Anthony's response: "as for SG enabled shared network, current plan is
only support Virtual Router as service provider". It sounds like this
would make all of the other Providers (external ones like F5 as well
as virtual ones like Nicira) unusable in a SG-enabled Advanced Shared
network, but we wanted to double-check that.

Lastly we wanted to understand timelines. The last comment on
CLOUDSTACK-737 shows the feature being reverted, so we were wondering
when it's aimed for master, and also to understand when Security
Groups on Advanced Isolated mode is scheduled to hit master.

Again, thanks for the response - if any of the above is unclear,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave.

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
We at ShapeBlue are also very keen to understand the direction that 'Security Groups in Advanced Zones' is going.

We have a large client who would like to use advanced zone VLAN isolation of accounts, with security groups based isolation of VM tiers within each account.

Regards,

Paul Angus
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784
paul.angus@shapeblue.com

> [...]

> > have the option of being supported by other network plugins.
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> > Any reason why you have chosen to implement this service differently
> > than the other Services with respect to pluggability?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joe*
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Anthony Xu <Xu...@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I have plan to add isolated and shared networks to SG enabled zone
> > > in
> > 4.2,
> > > the service providers on these network will be supported in SG
> > > enabled zone, but as for SG enabled shared network, current plan
> > > is only
> support
> > > Virtual Router as service provider. If you want to add other
> > > service provider in SG enabled shared network, please file a

ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting and implementation services to help IT Service Providers and Enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise, combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service Providers and Enterprises to deliver true, utility based, IaaS to the customer or end-user.

________________________________

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.

Re: Security Groups in Advanced Zone - Plugin Support

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by "Mills, Joseph" <jo...@midokura.jp>.
Hi Anthony,

Posted by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com>.