Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by RJ Nowling <rn...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/16 18:52:18 UTC

Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Hi BigTop,

There has been a lot of discussion as to what the future BigTop would look
like.  To my understanding, one of the drivers has been not having enough
manpower to maintain all of the packaging and testing efforts for every
component.  Similar problems are faced by the Fedora and Debian communities.

Instead of an explicit kill or keep list, why not ask for volunteers who
are willing to maintain specific components?  If a component's
maintainer(s) don't respond or review updates or build errors within a
specific time frame, components would be put on "probation" status.  If
another maintainer doesn't volunteer, then the components are marked as
unmaintained and dropped from the build.  In the future, if someone wants
to resurrect an unmaintained component, they can petition to do so and the
component can be put back on "probation" for a period of time.

This is the approach the Fedora community uses.

This will encourage folks to take ownership of components that are
important to them, provide clear guidelines for keeping vs dropping
packages, and solve the keep/drop debate organically.

What do you think?

RJ

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Okay ! Follow up here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1604

--
jay vyas

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM, jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd propose an ACTUAL source file IN bigtop that we update with
> maintainers.

Yup. That's what I meant.

> Shall I create a first patch ?

Sounds great!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'd propose an ACTUAL source file IN bigtop that we update with
maintainers.
Shall I create a first patch ?

Then we can follow through w/ the blogging etc..........

--
jay vyas

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 !  Love this Idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
jay vyas

Re: Alternative Idea to Kill / Keep Lists

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by RJ Nowling <rn...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great, Roman!

I think we should also start defining guidelines and processes as well.

What is the current BigTop development cycle?  Is the codebase frozen a
certain period before release?

I suggest that there be a pre-release build check before each release. If a
component isn't building in the pre-release check, it is put on probation.
If it is not fixed by release, it is not included in the release and all
maintainers will be removed from that component.

If a component is building but has no maintainers during release cycle n,
it is put on probation.  If no one steps up by release n + 1, the component
is marked as unmaintained and dropped from the release.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.