Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2004/10/10 18:47:34 UTC

Reusing Connectors

	I'd like to be able to deploy multiple database connection pools
without redeploying the TranQL RAR every time.  I just put in a change so
that the TranQL connector will go into geronimo/repository/tranql/rars as
part of the assembly process.  So I'd like to be able to deploy a copy of
it by just specifying the deployment plan with a reference to the RAR in
the repository.

	Currently there's something like this in, say, the geronimo web
deployment plan:

<resource>
<external-rar>tranql/rars/tranql-connector-1.0-SNAPSHOT.rar</external-rar>
<connector ... />

	I'd like to move that "external-rar" tag into the Geronimo
connector deployment plan, so that you can do the same thing even if
you're just deploying a standalone RAR from the command line.  So if you
construct a deployment plan that looks like this:

<connector ...>
  <external-rar>tranql/rars/...</external-rar>
</connector>

	Then to deploy it, you could just use:

java -jar bin/deployer.jar --install --plan my-ra-plan.xml

	Any thoughts or objections?

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: Reusing Connectors

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
For standalone connectors I think it is just as easy to say

java -jar bin/deployer.jar --install --module
path/to/tranql-connector-1.0-SNAPSHOT.rar --plan path/to/myplan.xml

However, the <external-rar> element is only in the app client dd at the
moment (its not available for any server-side modules).  I do think it
would be very valuable to allow it in web, ejb, and application
descriptors.  I guess adding it to connectors as well won't hurt
anything.  I thought there was a jira issue on this but the closest
seems to be http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-365.

I think implementing this properly may take some thinking about where
the xml processing goes and how the builders fit together.  I think the
"resource" element from app-client needs to be allowed in the other
plans.  Somehow the builders will need to get a reference to the
connector builder.  The app client builder simply has a direct
reference: I think getting it back from the ear builder is a better
idea, but I haven't looked at exactly how to do this.