Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Matthieu Patou <mp...@rockset.com> on 2024/04/03 22:13:31 UTC

production ready for zookeeper to kraft migration

I looked at the notes for 3.7.x and the migration from ZK to Kraft is still
not marked as production ready.

I'm wondering what are the issues that people could be facing during the
migration.

If 4.0 is still planned to be the full removal for ZK, is there a plan for
something after 3.7 to mark ZK migration as production ready ?

Best.

Matthieu.

Re: production ready for zookeeper to kraft migration

Posted by David Arthur <da...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Matthieu,

There are a few things to look out for during the migration.

1) Migration not starting. This is pretty much always going to be due to
mis-configuration. Controller KRaftMigrationDriver logs should reveal what
its waiting for
2) Migration of metadata fails. If some poison record in ZK causes the
metadata migration to fail, you'll see stacktraces and ERRORs in the
controller logs. The brokers will also not see an active controller and
won't be getting metadata updates.
3) Something in the dual-write path fails. If the write back to ZK fails
during dual-write mode (with ZK brokers or KRaft brokers), you'll see an
increasing lag (ZkWriteBehindLag metric)

So, in general: lack of an active controller, metadata not being propagated
(e.g., ISRs not getting updated), errors in the logs.

I'll try to get this written up in the docs soon.

Cheers,
David

--
-David

Re: production ready for zookeeper to kraft migration

Posted by Matthieu Patou <mp...@rockset.com>.
Hey Luke,

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthieu,