Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2013/10/31 22:35:31 UTC

[poll] linux template disk size

Hello,

Given the fact root disks can't be resized it has become quite
important for me to come up with a proper way of partitioning cloudstack
linux VMs.
I'd like to find out what size are people usually using for their
templates or what size have they found appropiate/practical? Any
thoughts on partitioning scheme?

Thanks,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

RE: [poll] linux template disk size

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 01.11.2013 12:01, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> I agree with Lennert, 20GB for Linux is a good size for the Template.
>
> For windows, I would recommend using something in the region of 80GB
> as it can get bloated with updates etc.

Thanks guys. This helps. I was also looking at 20 GB + LVM as a very
generic layout.

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
I agree with Lennert, 20GB for Linux is a good size for the Template.

For windows, I would recommend using something in the region of 80GB as it can get bloated with updates etc.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

> Given the fact root disks can't be resized it has become quite
> important for me to come up with a proper way of partitioning
> cloudstack linux VMs.
> I'd like to find out what size are people usually using for their
> templates or what size have they found appropiate/practical? Any
> thoughts on partitioning scheme?

The templates we make available to our clients are 20GB. This seems to be enough for them, if they need more space the can add a datadisk. For systems like Ubuntu and CentOS it seems less that 10GB can become tricky on the long term.

We use LVM for the partitioning so you could extend you root device over the datadisk. But it's not something that we do quite often, normally we just add a data drive (which can be resized) and mount it as homedir (cause this has the most data in most cases) for example.

Hope this answers your question!

Regards,
Lennert

> Thanks,
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [poll] linux template disk size

Posted by Lennert den Teuling <le...@pcextreme.nl>.
Hi Lucian,