Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "mh@ow2.org" <mh...@ow2.org> on 2014/12/02 10:36:27 UTC

META-INF/context.xml and deploy issue

Hello,

I'm facing an issue with tomcat 6. In order to setup a JDNI, we added a
context.xml file to our application (XWiki) in the already-deployed
folder webapps/xwiki/META-INF/ and configured the existing
webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/web.xml accordingly.

update of web.xml triggered the app reload which is expected.

At this point I wanted to adjust the database configuration, ie by
modifying webapps/xwiki/META-INF/context.xml. When I do this the changes
are not taken into account because the file Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml
is not overwritten by Tomcat.

The solution that came into my mind has been to force Tomcat to update
the file bt deleting Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml - which has indeed
make Tomcat undeploy and deploy the app again.

Here are my questions:
1) As there is no war file involved, what does "undeploy" and "deploy"
means ? What is being done exactly ?

2) Why is the file webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/web.xml is missing, after I
remove xwiki.xml and the app is redeployed ? (no web.xml = no deployment
so at the moment I have to manually restore a backup of this file)

Thanks !

--
Martin

Re: META-INF/context.xml and deploy issue (web.xml removed?)

Posted by Jose María Zaragoza <de...@gmail.com>.

> Is anyone can help me to find out what I am missing ?
> Thanks

Hi:

I asked a similar question time ago

http://grokbase.com/t/tomcat/users/13chhkj0qx/modify-content-in-meta-inf-context-xml

I hope it helps you

Regards

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 04/12/2014 08:48, mh@ow2.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone can help me to find out what I am missing ?

There are lots of nasty edge cases in the deployment process. This has
been cleaned up in 7.0.x and 8.0.x but not in 6.0.x.

See
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/automatic-deployment.html
for the behaviour in 8.0.x.

> Thanks
>
> Le 02/12/2014 10:36, mh@ow2.org a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm facing an issue with tomcat 6. In order to setup a JDNI, we
>> added a context.xml file to our application (XWiki) in the
>> already-deployed folder webapps/xwiki/META-INF/ and configured the
>> existing webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/web.xml accordingly.
>>
>> update of web.xml triggered the app reload which is expected.
>>
>> At this point I wanted to adjust the database configuration, ie by
>> modifying webapps/xwiki/META-INF/context.xml. When I do this the
>> changes are not taken into account because the file
>> Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml is not overwritten by Tomcat.
>>
>> The solution that came into my mind has been to force Tomcat to
>> update the file bt deleting Catalina/localhost/xwiki.xml - which
>> has indeed make Tomcat undeploy and deploy the app again.
>>
>> Here are my questions: 1) As there is no war file involved, what
>> does "undeploy" and "deploy" means ? What is being done exactly ?

undeloy - means stop the app and remove any references to it from
CATALINA_BASE/conf/<engine>/<host> and CATALINA_BASE/webapps

deploy - means tell Tomcat about the app and start it. This may reesult
in files being copied to CATALINA_BASE/conf/<engine>/<host> and/or
CATALINA_BASE/webapps

>> 2) Why is the file webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/web.xml is missing, after
>> I remove xwiki.xml and the app is redeployed ?

No idea.

>> (no web.xml = no
>> deployment so at the moment I have to manually restore a backup of
>> this file)

web.xml is not required. The app will still be deployed. It just might
not function that well.

Mark

Re: META-INF/context.xml and deploy issue (web.xml removed?)

Posted by "mh@ow2.org" <mh...@ow2.org>.
Hi,

--
Martin