Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Shaohua Ma <ma...@appliedbiosystems.com> on 2007/10/15 18:36:37 UTC

Question: is apacheds suitable for client side use?

Hi,

I've got an application that needs user management. The application is a
fat client. One operation mode is that the application will be off line
(no network connection), yet a user still needs to be authenticated before
granted access to the application. Can apacheds be used in this scenario
(installed and managed on the client workstation)? What's the security
implication?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Shaohua

Re: Question: is apacheds suitable for client side use?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
hi,

I don't see any problem with this approach, as ADS is an embeddable
server. Just be aware that the server size is 6 Mbytes big, and will
eat some memory (64 Mbytes seems correct). You will also have to
provision users' grants on the client.

On 10/15/07, Shaohua Ma <ma...@appliedbiosystems.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an application that needs user management. The application is a
> fat client. One operation mode is that the application will be off line
> (no network connection), yet a user still needs to be authenticated before
> granted access to the application. Can apacheds be used in this scenario
> (installed and managed on the client workstation)? What's the security
> implication?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Shaohua

Cordialement,